Mirtazapine and sleep.

Posted , 3 users are following.

As you will hav seen previous I am on my 3rd full week on 30mg mirt. 3 weeks before on 15mg. These last few days hav felt like my heads everywhere and still the drowsiness ..last 2 nights taken ages to get to sleep then I have woken at 4.30!,. Do most of you find that the lower dose is more beneficial for sleep , I've no asked doctor this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Cathy, just been on 30mg for 3 weeks as well and the last 2 nigjts i have experienced the same. Maybe its because my anxiety has popped up more again as well over the last 2 days. And it was going a lot better for once!! Lets see what tonight brings. Feeling quite edgy at the moment😔
    • Posted

hi bozzer  thanks for reply..yes lets see what happens..im bit more calmer at the moment .never had this drowsy feeling when was on venlafaxine..4years nearly, on it but had relapse at xmas..keep in touch..
    • Posted

Hi Cathy & Bozzer

A lot of people on here seem to be saying the same i.e. that 15 mg is more beneficial  FOR SLEEP AID, however the higher doses are more beneficial for depression ... can't win can we !!

Also it might be worth knowing, folk on here who are withdrawing are not only agreeing with the above, furthermore are saying that getting down to 7.5 is even more beneficial for sleep aid (and sometimes daytime drowsiness!!).  

Hope this helps - best wishes to you both.

• Posted

Hi all,

I've ben on mirt for several months after a miserable few months on Citalopram.

I reacted very well to mirt at first and was sleeping very well but recently my sleep pattern has again been somewhat disturbed leading to the return of some of my previous anxiety symptons.  I take 15mg and occasionally take an extra 15mg but will stay on 15mg if it is more sleep inducing although I don't really want to rely on medication for sleep - it's a bit of a catch-22 situation!   

• Posted

Hi Geoff

I'm not sure taking an 'extra' 15 mg of mirt' occasionally(as you say)  is going to be beneficial for you Geoff - you may well have a bad reaction as far as I understand it. Maybe speak to your GP,

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.