Mirtazapine and sleeping tablets, help needed

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, i am having such problems with my sleep. i have tried herbal sleeping remedies after being refused Zopiclone by the Dr,but they make me have palpitations and feel uneasy all night. I am on 37 1/2 mg of MIRTAZAPINE.

i have tried relaxation tapes etc but they aren't helping. i have in the past bought Zopiclone on line but they dont seem to be prescribing them at the moment. Are there any suggestions for sleeping, i am probably only getting about 2 hours at the moment.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Edited

unfortunately the only thing that worked for me when i was at my worst was as you say Zopiclone, i'm guessing your GP wont prescribe as they are very addictive and only supposed to be used in for short periods.

Have you tried mindfulness? i used to find the body scan meditations relaxed me quite a lot and i would sometimes drift off!! There are lots of items about sleep worth reading, the worst thing to do is to lay in bed trying to sleep, it will not happen.

You could ask your Dr if you would be ok on 15mg Mirtazapine as that dose is apparently the most sedative ( i dont know why)

Hope you get sorted soon!!

• Posted

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY IAN. i want to reduce my tablets but at the moment it would be the worst time. I have tried the mindfulness but still find it hard 'in the moment'. i hope your sleeping is better now.

• Edited

I'm assuming that you are in the UK? I am in the US.I bought just a generic pharmacy brand of sleep gels that you can buy without a prescription. One sleep gel a night & it has helped me get about 6 hours of sleep.Wish I could sleep longer though but better than a couple of hours . Oh & these are not habit forming . I hope that you can get something similar where you live.

Best of Luck to you .

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Barbara, yes i n the uk, i seem to have a sensitivity to the over the counter sleep medications unfortunatly as they give me palpitations.

i wish that was the answer.

• Edited

hello,

i am taking 2 capsule root king sleep tight at night ,it make me sleep through out the night . Previously i have anxiety and insomnia ,now i taking root king and it solve my insomnia.You can buy it from Lazada.

Hope it help you with sleeping problem.

• Posted

HI dennis, i have looked these up and would be wary of buying things from china.

i cant take the vallerium herb so these would be a definate no at the moment.

But thank you.

• Edited

have you tried epsom salts in a warm bath? they contain magnesium which helps with anxiety sleep and pain x

• Posted

yes someone suggested that recently, i have been doing this twice a week.

• Edited

Linda Zopliclone is bad news and addicting and causes gaba receptor down regulation just like benzos and it stops working after just a few weeks. There are better "herbal" remedies for sleep which work much better long term and arent highly addictive like Zopliclone.

Also try supplementing with Vitamin D3 between 1000IU-4000IUs per day.

• Posted

HI kenny, i am in the uk, are there any herbal S.tablets you can name. i do seem to have a sensitivity to a lot of medications and some give me palpatations which when taken before bed can be very frightening and then I DONT SLEEP.

I dont know which are suitable to take with my 37 1/2 mg of Mirtazapine, and feel very on my own. I have been taking a multi vitamin but that gives me constipation, even though i do excersice and drink about 2 ltrs of water everyday. The doctor gave ke propanalol to take when I need to for anxiety but these aren't without side effects. I am not a hypercondriack and my mother had the same sort of problems with her meds.

I just need some sleep !!

• Edited

Linda, you can try alprazolame. It helped me getting some extra hours of sleep when in my worst days. i used it while I was on mirtazapine. it is considered less addictive. After months of using it, I stopped it without any problem AT ALL. When bad emotions and thoughts are gone, you will be able to sleep like you used before. Meanwhile, please bear in mind that nothing bad will happen to you if you do not sleep well for sometime. It is ok. my adventure lasted a year.

• Edited

Thank you for your reply Nikos, is this used in the u.k. i am feeling so exhausted which definatly makes my anxiety a whole lot worse. I know its hard for everyone. x i have just looked it up and its a benzo which my doctor will not prescribe.

• Edited

Alprazolam is Xanax and is a benzodiazepine and most definitely not safe. If you become dependant on it like many due its withdrawal is worse than heroin. Trust me i know this first hand steer clear of benzos. If you are in a legal state or country you would be much better suited using medical cannabis. It works more consistently anyways and isnt massively addictive like benzos or Z drugs.

• Posted

Kenny can i ask you..... how much xanax or whatever benzo you were on-how much were you taking daily & for how long?

I'm sorry that you had such an awful time

• Edited

Hi Barbara,

i was on Clonazepam (Klonopin) which is about equal potency and I had been on between 1mg to 1.5mgs for around 3 months and before that would occasionally take 1 x 0.5mg if i had insomnia but it only made the existing insomnia much much worse. I started tapering off of benzos in 2016 and about halfway through my taper switched over to Diazepam (Valium) as its easier to taper.

All benzos though are evil they damage receptors in your brain leading to an imbalance between gaba and glutamate

• Posted

wow you know so much. THANK YOU. This is the stuff i need to know. Unfortunetly, they help me so much right now.

Thanks again for the info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.