Mirtazapine and tension headaches and jaw pain.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have been on 45mg of mirt for 1 and 1/2 years and don t really feel it helps. It does help me sleep but i wake up constantly. I am on venlaflaxine and diazepam also. For a year now i have had almost daily tension headaches and pain in my left jaw.

I am unsure as to the cause and am having massage and osteopathy to help but i suspect the mirt may be part of it. I want to reduce on a 10 % reduction but i know the withdrawal symptoms are headaches and not sure how i ll cope.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms after long term use?Also dizziness. Did it improve on reduction ?

I am at my wits end. My life is on hold cos of these physical symptoms and although my mood has improved this is holding my recovery back.

Any experience or advice ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sarah hi, I think many have had unexplained aches and nerve pain as a side effect to Mirt, so I wouldn't rule out it being the cause of the jaw pain, I got it in one foot, comes and goes, doctor couldn't help.  I'm not sure reducing initially will help until you get low on the Mirt dose, however it might be worth a try.  

I would reduce slowly, try a 5% drop every 2-3 weeks initially, work up when you know your CNS isn't rocked too much from it.  Make a liquid with Mirt' if necessary.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Thanks.

I was planning on 10 % every 4 weeks. Do you think 5 % initially ?

• Posted

Plan on trying to get to 15mg initially. Very scared about it.

Am hoping by 15mg it may reduce any side effects.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I've quite often read that a 10% cut from a the higher dose, 45mg, is fine, its when folk get lower on the doses that the 10% cuts can be too large.  Having said that, knowing Mirt' as I do I would always be cautious.  

• Posted

Hi ive been on mirtazapine for a year been up to 15mg and now at 7.5mg does nothing for anxiety or deppression and get out of bed after not sleeping as it no longer sedates me - when im up i get tension headaches and jaw tightens have asked gp for help but nothing
    • Posted

That has happened to me. I was on 45.....now 30. I do have impacted wisdonm teeth coming out on friday. I plan to slowely taper off this as i don t think it helps me. I do get interupted sleep but wake up feeling hungover.
    • Posted

GP is useless. They just put everything down to anxiety or depression and know very little about psych meds but neither it seems do psychiatrists. Got to find your own way to recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.