Mirtazapine and trouble breathing

Posted , 13 users are following.

just want to know if anyone while on Mirtazapine or coming out or out has had trouble breathing or breathing issues. Wish to know your experience! If any of you had that as a side effect/withdrawal, plz let me know, tell me your symptoms, what you felt and how long it affected you. Also if you have a remedy i would like to know ! thank you!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

go to your doctor. i w ias on mirt for 3 weeks and had horrendous breathing problems that lasted some months. i had changed from one anti depressant to it but felt so unwell that i had to stop and went back on lexapro. i have lung issues that were inflamed by the mirt. you may experience withdrawal symptoms so go to your doctor. you may need an inhaler to get you over the breathing issue.

• Posted

thank you for replying! i never had breathing issues before, it all started like 5 months of tapering this medication. i have gone to my doctor and hospital, the checks that they made came all good yet i still feel this damn thing. the problem is that i have another year to taper, my god what a nightmare. still thanks for the answer i thought i was the only one 😢

• Posted

hi, i have only been taking this antidepressant for two weeks, it makes me feel really groggy. Doctor changed my antidepressant to this because i have terrible insomnia. This helped first week or so, but not so good now, bur definately no breathing problems so far. i am always hungry, which is not me at all.

i had to take a zopiclone last night yo sleep, and thats what i don't want to do.

Not sure I want to stay on this mitz. Hope you improve soon

• Posted

yeah, i get or got those symptoms but believe me, thinking about it now i feel those were not so bad symptoms compared to this one. I've been tapering this mirtazapine for 1 year and a month and I've had some pretty weird/bad symptoms yet this breathing thing is the worst, not only because of how it make you feel but giving that i have health anxiety/ocd i fear for my life like you cant imagine. Intrusive thoughts keep telling me im gonna die from it, that i have a bad problem. is been hell this past 6 months because is been 6 months since the breathing thing started, before taking this medication i didn't had any of this, but now i do and is driving me crazy cas no one can help me. wish this doesn't happen to you, this med is the worse.

• Posted

OH, I am convinced not to carry on with this medication. I do hope you get sorted, must be so terrifying for you. I am waiting to see a councellor , hopefully that will help. Get second and third opinions on your condition . Make a nusiance of yourself. Don't be fobbed off. Take care

• Edited

yes i have this also, its almost like i cant never take a full breath, this problem started and many many others i never had before. ive been nearly 4 months off now. i will never touch an ad again.

• Posted

OH god you 2?! can you describe a bit more what the breathing issues makes you feel? for me is tightness, pressure, lightheaded, i breath and it feels not enough, like if i was bloated on the mouth of the stomach and chest, can't breath enough like before, and weird sensation on my chest from time to time and sometimes cough, and i never had any of this before, not even on my first 7 months of tapering this med, but then it started, its been 6 almost 7 months since it started and it's stayed like that till now.

• Edited

What you're describing is from norepinephrine. It's a somewhat common occurrence, if you look up stimulants (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc) people report the exact same thing. I have experienced this on Adderall. It's a feeling of not being able to fully inflate the lungs, or get a fully satisfying breath, if that makes sense. It's merely an effect of the catecholamine system attempting to hyperventilate the blood to prepare for fight/flight response. I often find if I just ignore it, it goes away. Exercise also hugely helps, because it balances out the CO2 in the blood - and this is where the feeling comes from. I promise you, your lungs and heart are probably fine. It's simply an ancient piece of software running in the background that is out of context. It's probably an indication that your dose of too strong. I also find caffeine makes it a lot worse. Again, it's adrenaline. I hope this helps to all who have searched this effect. Good health to all. Cheers.

• Posted

i have many symptoms caused by Mirt.

i feel out of breath alot of the time, and feel like i cant get a full breath in also my allergies have flared up. Mirt works on the h2 receptors which control histamine. hence why i didnt have any allergy type symptoms on them. now my whole body is out of whack.

survivingantidepressants.org is a good site to join i know alot of it is cauaes by the drug. This site helped me a lot.

• Posted

i have many symptoms caused by Mirt.

i feel out of breath alot of the time, and feel like i cant get a full breath in also my allergies have flared up. Mirt works on the h2 receptors which control histamine. hence why i didnt have any allergy type symptoms on them. now my whole body is out of whack.

survivingantidepressants.org is a good site to join i know alot of it is cauaes by the drug. This site helped me a lot.

• Posted

Hi, there. I'm currently taking mirtazapine and have had breathing issues ever since I started them. I thought maybe I had asthma or lung issues. went and had tests done, all normal. I have the exact same symptoms. I hate it. My doctor keeps blowing it off as anxiety. But I know it's not. I've never struggled to breathe like this. How are you doing now?

• Posted

I have been on remeron since May 2020. I do have COPD but it was tolerable. I was walking in most of 2020 1 km or mile four times a week. One night in December that year I went upstairs to bed. By the time I reached the top I was completely out of breath and could not seem to get my breath. I was panicky and went to the hospital. They gave me prednisone and antibiotics thinking it was an exacerbation. Since then I have had poor breathing. It is better in the morning than at the evening. I am OK when sitting or lying. Sometimes in the evening I can not walk to the bathroom without having to sit down and fight the feeling I am suffocating. Now I feel short of breath every day. Just walking or moving. I am now having difficulty sleeping because this is weighing on my mind. My pulmonologist says my lung volume has not changed in 2 years. He is recommending pulmonary exercises. I cant do aerobics.

I do not understand why I could get so out of shape in couple of months.

One thing that changed is the drug. My Dr recommended I go to 30 mg one month ago since I was not sleeping. Based what I have read on this sight I have started tapering.

Wish me luck!

• Posted

Hey there, I can relate to the breathing issues you are experiencing. I have been kn mirtazapine for 3 years now. I believe it helped me through a very difficult period of my life, when I suffered prolonged work stress and began to experience severe anxiety/ instrusive thoughts. I am now at the stage where I believe the sudden affects of the medication are outweighing the benefits. My body is simply dependant on it, and I experience severe headaches and shortness of breath when I am due a dose, which calms down about an hour after I take my dose. about 3 months ago or so, I reduced my daily dose by 7.5mg. I would have tapered far more gradually, say by 1.5 - 2mg per month, but my doctor said the tablets only come in 15mg, 30mg and 45mg. I was advised to cut the the 15mg in half - which is a nightmare and no doubt causes slight fluctuations in each dose, as its impossible to cut them exactly in half. I carried on regardless and sufferer severe withdrawal symptoms: shortness of breath, headache, panic attacks, prickly skin whenever I sweated, all over my body, and, strangely, very sweaty feet (odd, I know). Once I got through the above, my body began to cope and I feel better, however, I want to get off these tablets completely, but I am terrified of going through it all again. How can we possibly taper safely if the tablets aren't available in the UK in a smaller dose of 2.5, 5, or 7.5mg tablets?

• Posted

Mirtazipine, used long-term, I have no doubt is detrimental to our body, and I believe it can be difficult for the body to cope without it after being dependant on it for so long.

• Posted

What you're describing is from norepinephrine. It's a somewhat common occurrence, if you look up stimulants (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc) people report the exact same thing. I have experienced this on Adderall. It's a feeling of not being able to fully inflate the lungs, or get a fully satisfying breath, if that makes sense. It's merely an effect of the catecholamine system attempting to hyperventilate the blood to prepare for fight/flight response. I often find if I just ignore it, it goes away. Exercise also hugely helps, because it balances out the CO2 in the blood - and this is where the feeling comes from. I promise you, your lungs and heart are probably fine. It's simply an ancient piece of software running in the background that is out of context. It's probably an indication that your dose is too strong, or perhaps the drug just isn't for you. I also find caffeine makes it a lot worse. Again, it's adrenaline. I hope this helps to all who have searched this effect. Good health to all. Cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.