Mirtazapine and unbearable joint pain/swelling

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I was prescribed 7.5mg of Mirtazapine for my PPD and sleep issues. Ive been on it now for about 3.5 months, and for about 4 weeks now i have had pain and swelling in my ankles and knees but ESPECIALLY my fingers and forearms. The pain in my fingers both wakes and keeps me up at night.

I am scheduled to get x-rays and bloodwork for rheumatoid arthritis next week and I am also now on day 4 of just stopping the Mirtazapine cold turkey to see if it impacts the pain. My doctor said there is no weaning off 7.5mg as it's the lowest dose and will more likely just impact my sleep than mood. She is right so far.. difficulty falling asleep and some nighttime hot flashes, but all in all not bad!

Has anyone else experienced severe joint pain on this med? And did it clear up when you stopped? So hoping rheumatoid arthritis is not my new reality but tbd

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, It really is a dreadful drug. I've heard of this before, I had joint pain for a little while when I came off it. My advice would be to stay away from it, I've had so many side effects, been off 7 months and still suffering, sleep issues, pins and needles and anxiety. Take care hope your symptoms resolve.

• Posted

hi, yes i have been on mirtazapine for 2 and a half years now and i have severe swelling in my ankles and knees. ive raised my concerns with my GP surgery several times and ive been for blood tests. All normal, now they want me to go for an X-ray on my knees.. i know its not arthiritus and its down to the medication. If i was you i would stay off of them. They cause more problems than fixing them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.