Mirtazapine - Anxiety and Intrusive thoughts

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I have recently been prescribed Mirtazapine by my GP as a replacement for Sertraline which did not agree with me as a replacement drug to help relieve my ongoing anxiety.

I have currently been taking this drug for approximately 11 days now and I do not believe it is helping, since starting the drug my anxiety seems to be increasing and I am starting to encounter intrusive thoughts. I have been back to the doctors about this who recommended I stopped taking the drug in the interim to determine if this was driving my Anxiety.

Has anyone encountered similar symptoms with this drug?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Welsh rocker,

I've just done 3 months of mirt, it was rubbish! Didn't do a thing for my anxiety or depression though gave me great sleep for a few weeks. I felt really out of it in the day time too and defo anxious, not sure if more than without but didn't help it anyway. I had some pretty dark thoughts while on it too. On a slow release beta blocker at the mo as just come off mirt and that's helping anxiety symptoms better. So just my sad pants depression to sort out now.

Sertraline didn't agree with me either, didn't sleep for 2 wks and gave up with it. Doc says perhaps try citalapram next but heard side effects are bad with those so humming and haaing at present, could do with getting back to work at some point!!

Vroomz x

• Posted

Hi Welsh

most definitely i experienced the same symptoms and it took four weeks for the anxiety to dissappear. It was about the same time for those unwanted thoughts to vanish.

You mentioned you have stopped taking mirt now, you may find you feel a bit ropey around day 3/4 of stopping, hopefully this won't be the case given you were on it 11 days. If you do start to feel a bit poorly remember it's the mirtazipine leaving your system and not a new symptom surfacing.

Wishing you a speedy recovery ♥

God bless x

• Posted

I do not do well with any meds have had adverse reactions to a few SSRI they tried me on for my anxiety.  Then started Remeron Dec 23 and no adverse effects except does not help with anxiety, helps with sleep.  The PDoc i was seeing was not impressed that I could not take the SSRI and basically said he could not help me.  I also take Clonazepam for the anxiety and waitiung to see a new PDoc but not until May 30 so need to stick with the Mirt at 15mg until then.  I started on 15mg, the upped to 22.5mg and then 30mg.  Anxiety only got worse.  So I tappered myself from 30 to 22.5 and held for 2 weeks for the brain to catch up and then down to 15 starting Mar 10 and have been holding since.  
  • Posted

Hi Welsh

So you have swapped from sertraline to mirt.  I think 11 days is far too short a time to judge whether that is going to work.  You are probably getting WD affects from the sertraline &/or side effects of the mirt. It is well known that ADs take time to become effective - and symptoms can get worse before they get better.   

• Posted

I think Oldboy has hit the nail on the head there ... the root cause of your anxiety is probably not the Mirt' at all, but more likely to be wd from the Sert ... doctors love to chase an AD with another AD, not giving you time to slowly wean off the original one, then along comes the uptake of another drug and total confusion as to what is causing what.

Now you have to decide if you can ride out the symptoms of Sert WD or go back on it and do a slow taper whilst taking Mirt ~ so I would think the best thing for you, and for your peace of mind, is to talk to your doc about this ?  I hope all goes well for you, and trust in yourself, its not you its the side effects of the drug!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.