Mirtazapine BAD BAD BAD

Posted , 17 users are following.

I've not updated my experience in months, and in truth, I didnt even want to think about what they did to me.

After a good start, and everything going well, mirt took its toll and I ended up in A&E. Mirt gave me a swollen gallbladded (dangerously so) and this explained the stmach bloating.

My temper was terrible, I've never been a violent person, but turned into one...and I a mean BAD. Physically violent.

After a lot of tests at the hosp and they saw how swollen my gallbladder was, they took me off th tablets immediately and I had to go cold turkey for a month to clear this crap out of my system. I'm glad to say, all is well no, no adverse effects to my gall bladder and my temper is back to my normal passive self.

Stay clear of this horrible medicine ! Thats all I can say.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you just talked me out of it LOL. I took it for 3 days and felt like i was constantly drunk(some would say nice but it felt awful) so i stopped taking it, i know i really should have given it more time, but i feel so positive now that i am not going to let anxiety rule my life that i believe i can beat it.
  • Edited

I think i have seen this post on other anti-deppressents so make your mind up which drug you have been on. It certainly wasnt Mertazapine. After Prozac, Citalopran made me worse, Setraline helped, but Mertazapine has turned my life around. So dont put people off it when you aint even been on it. Any idea of the harm you might be doing to people who really do need help.
  • Posted

Everyone reacts differently to these meds, its just a case of trial and error.

I have tried it twice and it didnt work for me, even as a combo with seroxat, you have not really given it much time, but if you are getting severe side effects, I would go back and see your gp.

I know we think we are just mithering them, and at times I have felt shes here again after trying 7 different antidepressants, but now I see a psych dr and he has prescribed pregabalin, its a antiseisure med that has just been recommened for gad, its working well along with the seroxat that gives me terrible head sweats, so you just have to way up the pros and cons.

Mirtazapine gave me water retention, and my feet, ankles and knees where so swollen that I could not bend my feet. If its any consolation citalopram made me feel as if I had drank a bottle of vodka after 1 hour of taking it, needless to say I didnt take any more of that.

If I was you I would go back to your gp and tell him about the side effects you are getting.

Take Care

Colette

• Posted

Hiya, I've been on Sertraline for 6weeks now and saw my GP yesterday who prescribed Mirtazipine to act as a top up as the Sertraline had stopped woring as fully as it was.

I took it last night before going to bed, just as the doc said, and I couldn't wake up this morning, I usually find it difficult to get up, but todayt was different, something physical as well as mental was stopping me, and when I did get up I felt drunk, still do a bit now. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few days and see how I get on.

Thanks for reading

R

• Edited

Hey, I have being taking 30mg Mirtazapine for the past 4 weeks along with 7.5mg Zopiclone to help with my serious sleep disorder and depression. I have being suffering from depression for along time now and have being prescribed different anti-depressants over the last year with still no luck in helping with my depression. Anyway, I would just like to share my experience. I have not being myself since I started taking this combination of medicine and friends and family have being concerned about my behavior. I have become very aggressive and paranoid along with the most extreme desire to commit suicide. I have thought about suicide before but not like this. I am ready and prepared and without my great friends being so supportive I think I might have followed through with suicide just last night. I am meeting with a doctor tomorrow in hope to get me off Mirtazapine and Zopiclone. I am not sure what drug is the primary cause of these BAD effects but I really need to get off this stuff NOW!

Thanks for reading and hope this can be of interest to someone who might be feeling the same, If suicide is on your mind, please ring a friend and go to their house now and stay the night. Just do it.

• Posted

Hi, I was on 7.5mg Zopiclone for a number of years and came off them recently as my Dr said they contributed to my anxiety and depression. I was prescribed Amitriptyline 25mg but couldn't get on with them and dropped to 10mg and then up to 20mg but still couldn't get on with them. I have now been put on 15mg Mirtazapine for a week then up to 30mg. I haven't noticed drastic mood changes apart from tiredness and have suffered bloating and constipation.

I'm sorry that you have had suicidal thoughts, it's good that you have a support network of friends, it sounds as if you need to come off Mirtazapine pretty quickly. I'm hoping that they will help lift my depression, but am very wary of possible ill affects as you have described. I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi, I'm taking zispin now for over a year, find it excellent for depression and 5mg lexapro.

Only complaint is I look 6 months pregnant !! My appetite has decreased a lot last few months,

No cravings for chocolate. But weight still there. I'm asking my sych to change it, as it's getting me down now

Was wondering about welbutrin, been on lots anti Depressants, most didn't suit as I have migraines, hard to find one without headaches side affects. ? 👼

• Posted

I have been on mirtazapine now for two years. For me, it has been a godsend. It has stopped my frequent migraines, my constant skin hypersensitivity, and my insomnia. The initial heavy sedating effect of the drug wore off after a couple of weeks, but it has left me with a natural sleep better than I have had in twenty years. It helped me come off temazepam and reduce my alcohol consumption. It has made me a much happier person.
    • Posted

How much temazepam were you taking ? I have been prescribed this drug recently and your comment has worried me

good luck with your success with mitazapine

• Posted

Good to hear something positive, I'm looking forward to getting better, hopefully with the help of mirtazipine.
  • Posted

Yes have to say its a good drug for anxiety an depression alright.

Evergreen .... an migraines oh god hope mine don't get worse now, didn't realise it was helping them.

Just the weight wasn't helping my depression, an have been getting lower over past few months.

Need t go into hospital for monitoring while I change to Wellbutrin, heard it was good anti dep. ??

Maizie

• Edited

Hi everyone am new to this forum so hope I post in the right place lol

I too have been on a low dose of SolTab (Mirtazapine) 1/2 tab at night (15mg) it was fantastic with helping me to sleep all night through as well with my anxiety and depression. However I found that I had very swollen feet, calves and ankles to the point where I thought they were going to burst sad

My doctor now changed me to Zoloft 25mg in the morning. I am kind of reluctant to start them as I have heard people say that the cause insomnia which I already have and don't need more help with. As well as it causes weight gain another department I don't need any help in.

Can anyone say if they have been on either of these or both at one point or another and which they found to be better? I know we are all different and all can have different effects, but it would be a great help to hear about other peoples perspective on these two

thanks so much in advance hope to hear from someone

André

• Posted

Hi André, I am also new here. I do not have experience with Zoloft, but Mirtazapine does cause weight gain. I love the med really, because it gives me energy. Anxiety and depression is away after 2 weeks , too. But it is really hard to see my belly bigger and bigger. I was on Mirta 5 times. Always for 4 months or so. First it increased my appetite that is why I put on weight. But last time I carefully watched the calories and with only 1300 calories per day I still gained weigh! What a dilemma and frustration...A super medicine but on what price. Kata108

• Posted

Hi,

I am experiencing bloating due to mirtazapine too (6cm bigger around the waist). I have just gone off the drug 2 days ago. How long did it take for your stomach to go back to normal?

• Posted

i know this is an old post and really hope you reply! ive been off mirta for nesrly a month now and my belly hasnt gone down 😦

• Posted

Hi, this happened to me, too. It took me about a month for the belly to go back.. Avoid bread, cake, pasta, chocolate and other carbohydrates for a while...

• Posted

I've just read this. my a domen is huge and getting bigger since Mirtazapine. it's so uncomfortable. also huge weight increase due to constant cravings . bust grown huge . did the Mirtazapine bloat you badly??

• Posted

how long did it take for your belly to go back to normal im suffering with a swollen abdoman and had tingling and numbing and selling feeling in my legs which has gone but not my belly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.