Mirtazapine BAD BAD BAD

Posted , 17 users are following.

I've not updated my experience in months, and in truth, I didnt even want to think about what they did to me.

After a good start, and everything going well, mirt took its toll and I ended up in A&E. Mirt gave me a swollen gallbladded (dangerously so) and this explained the stmach bloating.

My temper was terrible, I've never been a violent person, but turned into one...and I a mean BAD. Physically violent.

After a lot of tests at the hosp and they saw how swollen my gallbladder was, they took me off th tablets immediately and I had to go cold turkey for a month to clear this crap out of my system. I'm glad to say, all is well no, no adverse effects to my gall bladder and my temper is back to my normal passive self.

Stay clear of this horrible medicine ! Thats all I can say.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My mother in her 80's is on 15mg mirtazapine for the past year, she has dementia, but now she is getting very aggressive, hitting us for no reason. Very unsettled especially during the night. She takes the tablet before bed and she is on 20mg citalopram in the morning.  Also on 75mg Fentanyl patch for pain relief every 72 hours. Do you think this is too much.
    • Posted

It is more likely the Citalopram that is making your mother more aggressive.  There is a lot of research online about the long term side effects of SSRIs such as Citalopram.  I will never take it again.

Mirtazapine is definitely the best anti-d I have taken.  

• Posted

This is my opinion, too. Mirtazapine is fantastic. Its only disadvantage is the weight gain issue. Otherwise it is really a very good med.

• Posted

It is more likely the Citalopram that is making your mother more aggressive.  There is a lot of research online about the long term side effects of SSRIs such as Citalopram.  I will never take it again.

Mirtazapine is definitely the best anti-d I have taken.  

• Edited

Mirtazapine is the worst med ever!! The weight gain is terrible! Not only that, after the withdrawal, a simply couldn't sleep more than 2 hours a day!! and only went to sleep around 8:00 am!! And I only took it for 8 months!!

But to tell the worst thing about my story: It's been 10 since I've stopped taking it... And still have problems in those issues. It ruined my life. I had to stop working, have no social life, am obese...

I currently go to church, trying to find reasons from God of why this happened, doesn't help much though...

If I could only go back in time... Regret Regret Regret

It's so serious that I have almost daily fantasies about doing some harm to the "doctor" whom prescribe it for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.