Mirtazapine - can I stop cold turkey after just a few days?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I started on mirtazapine 3 days ago. I have had a major increase in heart rate, it doesn't help me sleep , I now have a low grade fever. The only benefit has been increased appetite. I recently was on antibiotics which made me lose my appetite and I lost a lot of weight. I think worrying about putting on weight is what caused the anxiety to start. Can I stop this cold turkey after 3 days without a problem? I'm only taking 7.5. Suffer with anxiety and panic attacks, which can't be much worse than being on this med.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes, you can just stop. There are lots of ways to deal with anxiety that don't involve drugs.  I will send you some links since Patient doesn't like outside links.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding betsy0603. I called my pharmacy and they suggested cutting a 7.5 in half for tonight in case I get withdrawal symptoms. Not sure what to do because it's about time for my dose.

I started CBT last week. I know my anxiety stems from constant worry about putting my weight back on. That's what I need to get figured out.

• Posted

Betsy0693, how can you send me links? Where do I look for them?
    • Posted

JMK did youu check your private message box?
    • Posted

Go up to the top of this page where it shows your username.  There's a red envelop with the number of messages you have.  Click on that.
  • Posted

I'm on 30 for sleep problems, just started cutting back by half from last night, I want to be off them within a week I'd rather be tired than fat ggrrr
  • Posted

Sorry you are feeling so rough.  Are you absolutely sure that it is the mirtazapine that is causing these side effects.  Do you think you could have picked up a bug?  7.5mg is very low as a starting dose.  I can sympathise with the weight loss and I had terrible nausea for 13 weeks and lost 1.5 stone, the reason I was put on this drug. However, I am trying to get off it altogether and am back now to 7.5mg over the last three days.  I could not imagine you would suffer cold turkey after taking that amount for just three days.  If you are sure it's the mirtazapine, then leave it off.  Oh and by the way, I put back on the 1.5 stone and more but only on my stomach, ugh hideous!  I hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Yes, I agree with Betsy, just stop, if it makes you feel more secure nothing wrong with taking half a dose for a night and then just stopping.  After 3 days you'll be fine.  

Hope you find something natural to help, CBT is excellent and will reassure you enormously I'm sure.  Try meditation too.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Suggest if you are having a major increase in your heart rate you need to see your doctor.  If that's not possible immediately I would definitely get a phone appointment.  A low grade fever is also slightly concerning.  Unfortunately weight gain is definitely an issue with this drug, it's apparently common with a lot of anti-depressants but I think this drug is one of the worst.  It makes you want to eat and eat.  I'd have thought that just three days on it you'd be ok coming off it but you need to speak to your doc first (my understanding is that this drug isn't a first line anti-depressants, they should be trying you on others first.  I've found it to be the most effective out of four, albeit with weight gain).
  • Posted

I would just stop. You won't suffer withdrawal after only 3 doses. Also, in rare cases, mirtazapine can cause your immune system to crash and so any unexplained fever is a red flag.
  • Posted

I agree with Evergreen, just stop. It is only three days.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies.  This is the first antidepressant I have been on. The doctor preferred venlaflaxine, but after reading the side effects, mirtazapine sounded milder to me ( with added benefit of putting on weight and getting some sleep).

The first night it took five hours to fall asleep. Only slep for 4 hours. When I woke up I didn't  feel too bad other than being tired. As the day went on, the low grade fever started. Then the fast heart rate.  Night two it took four hours to sleep. Only slept about four and a half hours.  The fast heart rate continued off and on and the fever was up and down. Maybe anxiety caused it? Anyway, night three was horrible. It took four hours to fall asleep and I woke up in the middle of the night with my heart racing. Took my pulse and it was 124. Never had nightmares on the med do don't have an explanation. That's when I decided I had enough of this poison.

i just had a 48 hour heart monitor on because I was so dehydrated from weight loss/ malnutrition and they wanted to make sure everything was okay. I was told that my enfraction rate (?) was great, a few skipped beats in 48 hours but that all was okay. That's why I'm thinking it was this med. 

I stopped the med last night after three days on 7.5. I feel like cr@p! I am nauseated, fuzzy in the head with diarrhea. Could I really have withdrawal after three days?

i have decided that I need to be in control of my life instead of letting drugs control me. Last night I listened to an online meditation and think I was sleeping in less that an hour. Slept 7 hours last night. Today the heart rate has slowed down. I am researching meditation/relaxation programs to help talk myself out of anxious situations and how to "deal". Anyone ever heard of "tapping"? May try that to see if it helps.

Thanks all all for your support. Means a lot. 

• Posted

I'd also say "just stop", or if it makes you feel better take the 3.75 one night then stop, as long as you get off fast you won't have a problem, in my humble opinion smile  
  • Posted

were you able to come off after 3 days without issues? Ive been in for 3 days and refuse oi take anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.