Mirtazapine cold turkey from 45mg

Posted , 13 users are following.

Okay so I have been on mirtazapine 45 mg for about 2 years now. Don't get me wrong this done the job for me I was sleeping every night and panic attacks and anxiety had impoved so much. But I have been going to the gym 5 times a week and eating so healthy but still gaining weight I used to be a size 10 I am now a 16!!! This has been making me so depressed and unsociable so I have decided to quit it....cold turkey,, this was my decision I want to be drug free and not a walking zombie anymore.

First couple of days have been great, going gym as normal, happy, lost 6lbs, sleeping is harder obviously I was expecting that, everything brighter, more energy.

Day four- fist sign of withdrawal symptoms was okay through the day felt very tired so went to bed about 10pm......looked at my clock 2.30am and u am still awake tossing and turning, then I began with these awful head pains never felt anything like it before, was like a wave of pain starting from the back of my head going to the front that happened all night. I then began hallucinating, I started seeing someone in my room, then I could see the dog on all fours staring at me. Muscle pains. Coughing and full of cold.

Woke up at 9am so must have got some sleep, feeling much better now, so I think the withdrawal has begin just hope I am strong enough to get through it and that it's not for too long.

I will keep you all updated. ...... 😊 anyone else got similar stories? How long will this last before I am myself again? Any suggestions on how to get through it?

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow why would you go cold turkey vs. weaning yourself off less side affects I am thinking. 
  • Posted

So I am still off the mirtazapine and it's nearly 2 weeks I have been feeling great can actually think for myself instead of having this heavy cloud over me.

I have begun healthy eating with slimming world and have dropped half a stone in 2 week starting to feel really good about myself and making me smile. I am not as hungry as I was on mirtazapine I don't have late night snacks and my sugar tooth has gone. .... almost ☺ haha.

I am keeping my head up high, concentrating on my end goal and if I start to think to deep into things I get busy.

I have also had an idea of my psychiatrist which Is to make a 'happy box' ..... and this is for whenever I feel as though I am struggling or feeling down I can open the box and it's full of happy memories, photographs, scan pics, also my goals and achievements. It helps so much xx

• Posted

Yes it helped but I have been on it for over 2 years along with quatriapine (antipsycotic ) but i now feel strong enough and ready to come of them I have dealt with what was causing my depression and have found non medicated ways to deal with them. I have a very supportive parter which makes such a difference.....yes it has been VERY hard work but its just another obstacle i need to beat. I just want to be me again and i am becoming stonger every day. Good luck to everyone ☺ xx
    • Posted

That is excellent news and I wish you luck and success.  I guess at some point in our lives we need these meds and then there comes a time when its time to take control because meds are an aid for a particular point in time they will not solve what caused our depression or anxiety.  We have to face that one and shout be gone you demon.  I hope my journey on these meds is a short one.  I have gone back to the gym, walking my dog and starting to get out more. Onwards!! Thanks for your response as I can see a light at the end of this tunnel!  
  • Posted

Yes there is definitely a light, make sure you never take your eye of it 😊 how long have you been on mirtazapine? It has been such a good help for me I had tried so many anti depressants that made things worse! but this one worked for me and has helped me through some difficult times.

I go to the gym Monday to Friday and feel great after it I can relieve any stress that has been building up, the days I don't go to the gym (Fri and sat) I need to focus on doing something at weekends as I start dwelling on things, which can kick of my anxiety.

I am just hoping that things will get bad at 3-4 week as I have red about so many people's withdrawal coming around that mark.

Does anyone have any experience in when the worst withdrawal time is off mirtazapine? Just so I can be prepared. ...

Thanks everyone 💜

• Posted

I started Dec 23 at 15mg for 21 days and now on 22.5mg for 27 days.  I also take Clonazepam for the anxiety during the day .75mg am , .5mg at 1pm if needed, and .75mg at night with the Remeron.  Me and the doctor are hoping once the Remeron kicks in I can tapered off the Clonazepam which is a bad one I know but the only thng that helps at present.  Those are the only meds I am on. I only hope that if she increases to 30mg Reneron there wil only be good things not bad as some have suggested getting ill.   I used to go more the natural way with herbs and hompathic but can't right now because of the meds. 
  • Posted

Yes I totally agree have been on temazipam before to help get to sleep but once I was on higher doses of mirtazapine I was sleeping very good, which is one reason why I have stayed on it for so long I have never slept that we'll in my life!

Now I am completely of it the thing I struggle with the most is sleeping at night I am not getting to sleep until around 3am but it is slowly coming back to me as it has been so long naturally falling asleep . X

• Posted

Rose on the FB page put up an article about weighted sleep blankets that are supposed to help with anxiety and I think insomnia, make you feel swaddled, apply pressure which is comforting, supposedly triggers serotonin production (not sure if there's actual data on that), so might be something to try at some point.  15 lb. sounds to be a helpful weight.
    • Posted

Yes i used weight blankets and makes me feel secure, warm and use mindful thinking. 
  • Posted

Been on 15mg Mertazapine for 6 months. Decided to quit Cold Turkey tonight. A little. Scared because I tried tapering down to 7.5 a while ago with no luck. This time I'm not going back. Going to increase exercise and change thoughts in head. Tired of the lack of motivation with not much change in the depression department. I know this is not how it's done but I'm going for it. I'll let you know it's going.

• Posted

If you would like to join a FB mirtazapine withdrawal support group, please private message me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.