Mirtazapine cold turkey - nausea and waking overheated

Posted , 1 user is following.

I 43(f) started on Mirtazapine 30mg due to stomach problems that we could not figure out. We thought it could be anxiety, but more wanted to try this for the boost in appetite. I had nausea, no appetite and burning in belly with reflux despite having scopes and tests and being on reflux meds.

The first month or so was great. I was hungry and gained back weight. Then started to lose my appetite again and nausea was coming back. We tried going up to 45mg for 3 weeks with little change. My dr suggested I stop cold turkey and also stop smoking cannabis. I had only been on the Mirtazapine for about 10 weeks.

My last dose was 7 days ago and it has been rough. Some days I can barely eat and am forcing in food and smoothies. Yesterday I was able to eat small meals, but am still not getting enough calories and am losing weight. Other symptoms are a bad headache on day 1 and 2 which has gotten better. Now i get a hint of a headache in the evenings. I have been getting hot tingling pain on my skin, mostly legs and hands since day 1. Trouble falling asleep at first, but now I can fall asleep, but wake up in the middle of the night completly overheated. No sweats, but crazy hot. Throwing the covers off and having a fan on me didn't help. Then I would start to shiver, but putting a sheet on me made me overheated in seconds. I don't feel anxious except for a few moments and mostly anxious over these physical feelings.

I fear that going back on it and tapering will undo the detox I've already gone through.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Or any insight on how long before I feel better? My biggest concern is not being able to eat since I am 5'7" and now 121 lbs and dropping.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.