Mirtazapine completely depersonalised me.

Posted , 8 users are following.

after coming off mirtazapine after 11 years it's completely depersonalised me and left me with lingering physical problems that doctors cannot find anything wrong with me and have lablled me with 'Health Anxiety' or 'hypochondriac' basically. I'm going to try ECT electro convulsive therapy but I feel as though I'm in Big trouble and don't know what to do I've been off the drug 12 months.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So sorry to read what you're going through. I weaned myself off gradually and haven't taken any mirtazapine since lady September but feel rough. Determined not to go back on it. I read one if the side effects can be depressed bone marrow hardly conducive for someone with advanced osteoporosis. Only the other day I found quite by chance a trial had been carried out with mirtazapine on healthy subjects which proved that mirtazapine is the only antidepressant that lowers cortisol by ad much as 30 percent. In my case I am always stressed and have high cortisol levels but what of those that do not and are on it for a long time? By the way if you can avoid it I certainly wouldn't agree to ECT treatment. I thought it had been banned in the uk. It's very old fashioned my father had that around 45 years ago it was horrible and certainly did not help him.

• Posted

I had low cortisol levels on an adrenal test I had done whlist I was on them.

Not sure what it's like now, I feel that bad st times I'm completely confused as to what is up with me. I don't know what to do, your right about ECT I think but I've not got a clue what to do the situation I find myself in.

• Posted

Hi Stuart,

Sorry to hear that you're suffering from depersonalisation, it's not a pleasant experience to go through. However, at the same time congratulations on coming off Mirtazapine and reducing your anxiety!

I think with time you will start feeling better, our bodies are amazing things and our brains really are amazing at healing and returning back to a healthy state.

Supplementing your diet with healthy, organic foods full of nutrients and omega oils, such a fish and nuts will really help. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water everyday alongside a multivitamin as that can also help, and most importantly whilst it may be hard, do try and get as much exercise in as possible. I've found that when I suffered from depersonalisation, exercise really helped 'ground' me and gave me the hope I needed to keep up my motivation.

I hope you feel better soon,

Wish you all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.