Mirtazapine diet club

Posted , 48 users are following.

I thought I would start a thread about trying to lose weight on this drug. If others are currently dieting, please add your experiences here. I would like to discover whether we gain weight on mirtazapine purely because it increases our appetite, or whether other factors are at play. I certainly gained weight quickly when I started on mirtazapine (around 1.5 stone). My appetite was revenous, especially for sugary foods. I tried to com off mirtazapine around 6 months in and failed. I lost half a stone in the week I waas off it, but most of that was due to severe nausea. When I went back on the drug I did not gain more than a couple of pounds, but I was being very careful what I ate. My weight has been steady now for two years.

I am not happy carrying around the extra stone however, and so have decided to diet. I am on day 8 and it is VERY hard. But I have lost two pounds so far. This is with me still eating 1700 - 1800 calories a day. I have a very active physical job and so my daily calorie requirement is 2100.

I have also started taking raspberry ketones and green coffee bean extract as of this morning in the hope that it will help me to burn fat. The interesting thing is, the amouont of weight I have lost is the same as would be expected from a person who is not on mirtazapine.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

3 likes, 210 replies

210 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Great thread, im on 15mg mirtz and have put a stone on with over eating, intresting to see more comments on this.
  • Posted

Mirt. never increased my appetite. Nausea was the main symptom of my anxiety and the doctors though mirt would help. Never did. And now I am stuck on 7.5 having tried to wean off twice already. Not ready for a third time, yet, but hoping to use the CITA method. And I see that even that method is not easy.

Good luck with your diet club, evergreen!!!!!wink

• Posted

Come of mirt cause the weight gain and no matter what u do...u can't lose the weight no matter what diet and going to the gym! I went of mirt cold turkey had panic attacks and all side effects but they last about 6 weeks ish...dropped all the weight now
    • Posted

Really sorry to hear that, Nicki. Obviously good about losing the weight again but not good about the withdrawals. I'm going to my doctors later to discuss medication, but rather think I'm stuck with the mirtazapine as it suits me in all other respects. The weight loss is slow, but it is happening for me. But I have had to count every single calorie, plus I am doing at least three hours a day hard physical work.
    • Posted

Stay away from any caffeine...............it does cause anxiety! I take b complex...vitamin d.and fish oil......really helps x
  • Posted

Hi

i am very interested as I out on 2 stones in weight in 4 months.  Unfortunately, there seem to be very few sedative antidepressants and I could only take the lowest dose of Trasadone which wasn't enough.  I'm now back on Mirtazapine, but apart from clinical depression, also find it doesn't help my mood that my weight is going up again and I cannot get into any skirts or trousers that I bought more than a few months ago and so have a wardrobe full of clothes that don't fit.

• Posted

It's awful isn't it? It's such a good drug for depression but the weight problem can end up making you deoressed too!

My doctor has requested a blood test for me to check my thyroid in case that is the reason for my weight gain. But I know it is the mirtazapine.

• Posted

Psychiatrist reduced my mirtazapine from 30mg to 15mg. Going to go down to 15 one day a week (Friday I've decided) & see how that goes, then 2 days a week and so on, hopefully. Will be interesting to see whether my weight goes up or down. Also if it affects my sleep. Still taking 225mg venlafaxine.
    • Posted

Fingers crossed for you. You must let us know how it goes.
    • Posted

I will be interested to see if reducing the drug from 30 mg to 15mg helps. I am depressed and anxious due to the 10pounds I have gained in a little over 2 months. Which interferes with

my life. Vicious misery.

Diet and exercise was helping at 15mg.

• Posted

Can't seem to access your Diet thread
    • Posted

This is my diet thread but the moderators removed the link I posted. sad
    • Posted

"Can't seem to access your Diet thread"

This discussion IS the diet thread.

The link I removed was just to a particular app for working out calories if I recall so if users want this info use the Message service to ask for it.

Regards,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.