Mirtazapine - do I increase dose or quit?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi everyone,

I have generalised anxiety syndrome and have been taking Mirtazapine 15mg for 4 weeks. This is my experience so far:

1. week 3 I felt a lot of improvement but this week I've felt very depressed (i don't usually have depression) and feel very irritable.
  2. My sleep quality while taking this has been very poor. Constant waking during the night and never feeling I've had a restful night.
  3. definite lack of energy and feeling very lethargic

Overall my anxiety has reduced but has been replaced by depression and living in a fog all day. Also, side effect wise hasn't been too bad. My dilemma is do I increase my dose to see if that improves things or do I quit before I'm too far into taking them and quitting gets harder? I will be discussing with my GP but any experiences you can share will be very helpful,

Thanks

Dale

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Usually sleep quality is improved with mirtazapine, so waking during the night should improve, but I also had the feeling of not being fully rested even though you sleep 7h+. I would talk to it to your GP. Personally, I was on 15mg then I found that 7.5mg (weirdly) works even better for sleep for me which is my main issue. It might help you actually since lower doses have more affinity to the histamine receptors than higher doses which are more adrenergic. Might explain your constant waking during the night, but I'm no expert.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.