Mirtazapine dosage and effect on weight

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Dose the amount off mirtazapine you take affect how much weight you gain? I thought I would start a new thread for people wanting answers to a question that so many ask, so that it could perhaps serve as a reference for people searching for an answer to this question when using search engines such as google. I want to invite as many people as possible to add their experiences regarding mirtazapine and possible dose related weight issues.

So my answer to this question is 'yes, to an extent.' I was on 15mg for a month and it was then increased to 30mg for four years. In that period I gained a total of two stone. Most of that happened shortly after increasing to 30mg, although I gained around 6 pounds in the first month whilst I was on 15mg.

I did manage to shift 1.5 stone of it whilst I was on 30mg though, but it was VERY hard. I worked out daily on the cross trainer, and cared for several horses, and walked dogs etc. I calculated that my body only needed 1800 calories a day to do all this. Any more, and I gained weight. And for a 5'10" woman, that is very little indeed. I reckon that mirtazapine influenced my body so that I needed around 500 calories LESS than I previously needed to maintain weight.

So what happened when I reduced my dose? Well nothing noticable until I was under 15mg. When on 11.25mg I noticed that it was much easier to resist previously tempting treats. I also noticed that I could up my calorie intake by around 200 calories a day, and also not work out every single day, yet still stay the same weight. I am now on 7.5 mg and will have to see if there is further improvement.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.