Mirtazapine Dosage Increase

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had my dosage increased from 15mg to 30mg. Is this likely to decrease my depression sooner rather than later?

I feel pretty desperate at the moment.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I guess your doc increased the dose because 15 mgs wasnt working?

30 mgs definitely worked for me although it took quite a few weeks before I started to feel better. But everyone is different - some people feel better quicker.

It does take a bit of patience but believe me its a very effective drug.

• Posted

Hi Jane.

Thanks for your reply. I actually had an appointment with a psychiatrist (refereal from my GP) who has recommended that the dosage be increased. I had only been on 15 mg for 2 and a half weeks so it was early to judge.

• Posted

we should exchange notes, I am at exactly the same point. I have been increased to 30mg at the 2.5 week mark as the depth of depression has been very difficult. I am actually on 1mg of Lorazepam also just so that I can keep on an even keel until the Mirt begins to take affect, you are doing well to weather it. They tell me 3-4 weeks should be the turning point. This new regime of using Lorazepam with 30mg mirt at bedtime has let me live a normal life for the last two days. I did a proper normal days work today, and a 2 hour bike ride this evening.

All I can say is hang in there and stay safe, and keep in touch on here.

• Posted

Mirtazapine at 30mg was effective for me, in combination with venlafaxine, but you do need to wait a few weeks for the full effects.
  • Posted

Hi

you won't notice much difference in terms of depression but it should help you to sleep as iat's a sedative depressant.  You may also put on weight with the higher dose.

best wishes

nessie

• Posted

Knowle, I've posted today re. Mirtazapine.....sometimes increasing dose can make matters worse, well it did for me....now I'm on 2 x one half of a 15mg tablet perday, about 7 or 8 hours apart...have a look at my post......Taking two may be ok for you though, we're all different. If it seems to get worse give it a while, maybe a few weeks, and maybe go back to one and see how it feels after a few days, you'll have to experiment as the docs don't know as much as you do in my opinion. Keni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.