Mirtazapine drowziness - Help :0(

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've only been taking 15mg of Mirtazapine for 2 days after trying various other AD's and not able to tollerate due to side effects.  I was put on these due to severe low mood and sadness BUT OMG! I can hardly function due to the sedative effect.  I did not have major sleeping problems before taking these but I know drowziness is a side effect.  Yesterday I slept all day pretty much, today I feel the same, like I've just come round from a general anaesthetic!! I'm worried because although off work this week I have to return next week and have to run a business!! I tried to take at 6pm last night and the other half at 10pm before bed in the hope that it would not make me feel so out of it but it's made no difference :0( PLEASE tell me it gets easier?? The other MAJOR worry is weight gain as I can I'll afford to gain weight even though I've had no appetite for a while.  It seems for every positive of this medication there is a MASSIVE negative?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Onlywayisup,

I found that 15mg was really sedating for me too. I remember taking my first ever tablet within minutes I had passed out. It does get easier over time though, or you learn to deal with the brain fog/groggy after effect in the morning but I personally found that increasing to 30mg was so much better. My problem was anxiety over depression though so obviously this drug works different for each person. But on 30mg I slept really good without feeling like I'd gone into a drug incluced coma and as long as I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep I woke up in the morning feeling fine, my moods improved 10 fold and my anxiety was finally manageable. The first month on 15mg is probably the hardest though as your body and brain adjusts to it. My advice would be to stick to the 15mg for at least a month and then try 30mg for a few days and see how you go. I felt the improvements nearly instantly when I increased.

Also You will see a lot of negative posts about this drug because coming off Mirt does have some intense WD for a lot of people and eventually your brain will become dependent on this drug to sleep so insomnia is nearly guaranteed when you stop, but I personally can still say after 2 years on Mirt I have no regrets even with the WD I'm going through. For me the positive effects still out weigh the bad and it really did help so much.

• Posted

Totally agree it's a good AD for anxiety sufferers. Loved my great sleeps but off it a month and now realise the early waking could be WD. Hadn't thought of that.
    • Posted

I'd be surprised if it wasn't due to the Wd. Are you having any trouble getting to sleep or waking up through the night? I've been off it for 12 days now and I haven't slept properly for 11 of them. I knew I was dependant on them to a degree but honestly didn't realise just how much until now. I personally feel like this whole Wd process would be easier to manage if I could a proper nights sleep but being so tired tends to make everything else feel much worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.