Mirtazapine Effectiveness

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've suffered with severe general anxiety disorder and depression for about 7 years and have recently come off of Sertraline completely as instructed by my doctor as it seemed by body had got used to them and I was not feeling the benefits of them anymore. The alternative medication I was put on was Mirtazapine 25mg for 2 weeks increasing to 30mg thereafter.

I'm on day 5 of the 30mg dosage but am still experiencing levels of anxiety. I fear I'm going to lose my job as I've not been able to work for the past month and was wondering whether anybody has experienced a quite a big time delay in this AD taking effect? I've seen from a lot of online posts that this medicine has seemed to work for them within 1-2 weeks.

Gary

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Gary, if your job depends on the dependability or predictability of mirtazapine, I hope that you have a very understanding boss. If it doesn't work out, getting off the stuff is even worse. I am not someone to kick a man when he is down, or in any other position, but I am being honest. David
  • Posted

I'm with David on this one Gary.  Your GP or medic will not understand the WD of this medication.  If you can get an alternative I would.

Take care 

• Posted

Hi, from my experience mirtazapine for anxiety started to work only after one month. during the first month my anxiety levels increased and I had to use clonazepam, but after a month the anxiety disappeared. 

However, I think that for anxiety better ADs are Zoloft and Prozac. 

• Posted

Hi Gary, I didn't find Mirt a good choice for me. I was prescribed it for anxiety. It did make me almost non functional at work, and the day time fatigue goes away for some and not others. It didn't help my anxiety either so I would seriously reconsider this med with your Dr, particularly if you have a demanding job. I wish good luck. Lee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.