Mirtazapine experiences? 15 mg for panic and health anxiety disorder

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I suffer from panic attacks and health anxiety and citalopram & sertraline didn't help at all. I probably didn't give them long enough to kick in but the side effects made my health anxiety worse. 

So my GP has prescribed me with 15 mg of mirtazapine as i told her I didn't want another SSRI. ive checked side effects in my BNF book and I think I could deal with them. There's hardly any compared to others. 

What are people's experience on 15 mg when first start taking them? I want some relief but I don't want to feel really sleepy and fatigue at Christmas. Xxx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Like you I take Mirtazapine for anxiety after an unsuccessful attempt at six months on Sertraline. For me, I did notice a lifting of some of my anxiety symptoms on Sertraline, but it had a sexual side effect that I wasn't happy about (apparently you need the same chemical bridge connections in your brain for anxiety as you do for reaching orgasm so for me it was a question of whether I wanted to trade that in for the beneficial effects. So I went on to Mirtazaine about twelve months ago - first month at 15 mg then up to 30mg. I have to say I didn't feel particularly tired, especially if I took the dose just before going to bed. I was told that if you do suffer from fatigue that tends to go once you are on a higher dosage. I would say I found Mirtazapine very subtle in it's effects, wasn't even sure it was doing that much for me until I started lowering the dose and some of the familiar anxiety effects I'd almost forgotten about crept back. Nothing negative to report although Mirtazapine seems to have lowered my lidibo very gradually over the year, and I'm on a course of Tostran to rebalance that. 

• Posted

Hi Justinclarice,

I have had some weird dreams and some increased fatigue but it is just as likely that this is caused by other factors. They seemed to have settled down after about 5 days.

• Posted

The main side affects are sedation/tiredness and appitite stimulant. 30mg is supposed to be less sedating than 15mg. Watch what you eat and your weight should be ok. I never got over the tiredness and it caused memory problems for me as well. It was a bit of a jump from an ssri to mirtazapine though. There are a lot of non-ssri drugs available that in my opinion have fewer side affects. What side affects did you find the problem on the ssri's? I stopped ssri's because of sides as well tbh and their really are lost of options.
    • Posted

The SSRI's i took either made me feel like I was floating in a world that I didn't belong  or they caused side effects like muscle cramps, headaches, spasms, tremors etc. And I'm really aware of every single physical thing that happens to my body and it drove me crazy. I would panic if my leg twitched. 

I guess I'll give mirtazapine a go and see if it makes a difference. It'll be nice to be able to sleep because I only get 3-4 hours a night 

• Posted

That sounds unpleassant. Give Mirt a fair try. If it doesn't work out though don't worry there are other options available. Some people are very sensitive to anti-depressants and only need a very low dose to get the benefit. Have you tried beta blockers like propranolol?  
    • Posted

Nope I haven't, my dr just writes me prescriptions and each time she doesn't even tell me what she's prescribing me
    • Posted

Then make a Point of asking. Your health is important and it's important to know what your taking and why.

Do you know what beta blockers do? They help stop the adrenaline rush and reduce the nervous part of anxiety. People use them for stage fright as well. They can be taken with antidepressants as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.