Mirtazapine....experiences

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

Went to the GP today and was prescribed mirtazapine 15mg....never heard of these before, so basically looking for people's experiences please?

I have previously been on Citalopram, sertraline and fluoxetine.....the fluoxetine did help but I had terrible nausea with it, so weened myself off of them x

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Nicola,

I started on Citalopram, then Fluoextine & now I'm on Mirtazapine. It definitely did make me sleepy for the first couple of months so take them before bed. They increased my appetite a lot which caused weight gain but the symptoms wore off after a month so keep at it. Everyone is different so give them a try & if after a couple of months you don't feel any better or feel worse then I would go back to the doctors.

Best of luck x  

• Posted

Hi Yasmine, 

Thank you for your response! 

I started on citalopram but I cannot actually remember what happened with them as I became pregnant so was then put on sertraline! 

Ahhh well I didn't sleep at all last night really, just kept tossing and turning and then when I did sort of doze off, I woke back up! So hopefully these do help me!  How easy is it to wake up when on them though?? 

I am back to the GP in 4 weeks....was supposed to be 3 weeks but no appointments available x

• Posted

You're very welcome smile

I used to be the same my sleeping pattern was awful could never get to sleep or stay asleep but the Mirtz really has helped.

For the first 5 or 6 days I was a bit groggy through the day but that soon wears off. Been on them for a while now & they don't make me sleepy anymore which I miss!

Hopefully you'll see an improvement by the time you next see your GP x

• Posted

Ahhh that's good then! 

I am just worried I won't hear my daughter wake up....even though she is like always in my bed lol! 

I hope so too! Thanks again x

• Posted

Took my first dose last night....only got 3 hours sleep due to Daughter being a pain!!! And boy today am I tired....drowsy and hungry!!! I feel weak as well!! x
  • Posted

Don't take this drug put them straight in the bin these do absolutely nothing for you apart from turning you into a zombie, withdrawals are a nightmare as you won't sleep for days, I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, social anxiety, and was prescribed these back in 2006 its now 2017 and im still on them as i can't no matter what stop taking them, i live like a zombie, isolated and sleeping pattern broken, i now suffer from a mild form of ocd, i have a big belly due to the weight gain, an underactive thyroid gland, and my anxiety is through the roof. honestly before taking this i was sort of normal now im worse than ever

Please go back to the doctors and ask for a review.

• Posted

I am trying to get  off these after two years. Down to 5mg.  Anxiety never went away and have needed diazepam throughout. Tried other a.d.s in course of time but they all were intolerable.  I think i am intolerant to all these.  Going to try to get off them slowly as never got higher than 15mg. Suppose it will be a rough ride.  You have had a hellish time, hope you can feel better at some stage.  Have you tried other a.d.s.?
  • Posted

Hi I was prescribed this and found it made me much too sleepy to work.  I changed it to sertraline which works well for me.  I still take a very lose of mirtazapine to help me sleep though.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.