Mirtazapine failed taper - reinstating

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi - need some advice.

I have been on mirtazapine since August 2016 and I had been doing great with my depression and also my anxiety... but I put on a load of weight so my Psych wanted to swap mirtazapine for Wellbutrin... well I tapered from 30mg to 0 in 8 days.. and after 2 weeks - I CRASHED big time... suicidal thoughts, adrenaline rushes, depression, anxiety the full works were back.... so I have decided to reinstate... so I reinstated last Thursday at 30mg and I just don’t feel the way I did before I messed with the meds. Does anyone know how quick I will get back to operating on a normal level - my depression has gone but my anxiety is still there loud and clear.... help 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Benjamin, good thing the depression leveled off. That was apretty big drop/reinstated you did there. I would give it a few weeks. Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Gretal, I know I should have realised I really thought they would offset each other :-( hopefully i stabilise  soon. I’m recovering in windows and waves . Sometimes I’m fine then some I’m in the grips of it all! 
    • Posted

Hope you are feeling better, Benjamin. Just goes to show that the cumbersome symptoms dont last forever. Mirt definitely keeps us on our toes with trying to figure out what is coming next.
    • Posted

Hi Ben.

Did you manage to stabilise on the mirtazapine in the end ?. I ask because I’m in a very similar situation.

Hope you get back to me

Steve

• Posted

I have been on Mirt 15mg for 9 weeks for depression and anxiety. Both are now less but still around. I decided not to increase the dose but to have weekly therapy as well to discuss pain from the past. I think the meds plus the talking therapy is the answer for me. I started to put on weight but counting calories has helped me stop the cravings. I hope some of that helps.
  • Posted

Hi

ive been in different doses and each time I go back to the dose they changed me from I've never felt the same so for me no once to change dose it never returns to what it was like first time around

im now off mirt 16wks tomorrow been horrific as I was took of it overnight but I've came this far never will I use mirtz again in my life 

hopefuly you get sorted out soon 

kaz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.