mirtazapine- Feeling lightheaded

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I have been taking the medication for the past two weeks before I go to bed at night it knocks me out straight away which is good for sleep but I always feel lightheaded through the day.

I'm only on 15mg for now but feel nervous if this is how it makes you feel I don't want to carry on with it.

Any advice would be much appreciated

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

It won't ever go away completely but it gets better. It will take 4-6 weeks for you to get used to it. I remember when I first started I was struggling to stay awake at work but that lasted just a few weeks

• Posted

Does it get worse when you go on the maximum dose as I would like too I just this to help me have a balance in my life as I was on sertraline 50mg and the doctor said maybe this is not working and said that this would be the best one for me but said I could gain weight which I thought great another worry.

I just don't like the feeling and I have a four year old and it's sometimes hard to keep up with running around etc...

• Posted

With mirtazapine, the lower doses are most sedating. I use it to help me sleep and for IBS problems and 7.5-15 is fine. My doctor tried me on 30mg but it had the complete opposite affect, I was wide awake at nights. That's when I looked online and found out that the lower the dose the more sedating it is.

I understand everyone is different. I struggle to get out my bed at 6.40am during the week but once I'm in the shower and on the go I'm ok.

What are you taking mirtazapine for and why do you want to go on the highest dose?

• Posted

To help balance me out as I have depression seriously bad and at times I haven't wanted to be here I found that I was crying all the time I didn't have confidence anymore feeling worthless the list goes on.

I called the doctor as I was on sertraline and I was calling to go on the max dose but she asked me questions and said to try this one so this was the start really.

• Posted

Ok. I would see how you get on with 15mg. It will take a while for the medication to take full affect as it builds up in your body.

Another thing worth mentioning is that for some (myself included), mirtazapine can have severe withdrawal symptoms. So it may be worth trying the lower dose first. If it doesn't help then doctor can help decide whether dose should be increased or try something else.

I wish you all the best and hope you manage to get the right solution for you. There will always be people out there to support you and listen to you. Take care

Paul

X

• Posted

Hi, do you find it works for IBS? I've been given this for anxiety/IBS/nausea/help appetite I've got 15mg but only been taking half a tablet before bed for the last 2 weeks. I still find I've been getting nausea so no increase in my appetite. Maybe I should take a whole tablet?

• Posted

I started off on 15mg and within 2 months had put on a stone in weight. I was prescribed it for sleep problems but couldn't believe that my ibs was better. I've researched online and found out that the neurotransmitters in the brain and gut are both affected by the drug. I'm on 7.5mg now but thinking of going back onto 15mg to help with ibs again

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I'm just about to take a whole tablet instead of half, see if that helps. I'd love to put on a stone 😃

• Posted

It takes a few weeks but you should notice your appetite goes up. I was constantly hungry wanting to eat all the time. Doctors said my weight was ok but I would say I was underweight so an extra stone was amazing. Good luck 👍😃

• Posted

Hi claire.. i was on 15 mg for a week to aid sleep and it worked amazingly. Then i was put on 30mg to deal with depression and anxiety as sertraline had the opposite effect for. Made me worse. Being on 30mg at the beginning was bad but not as bad as before and thankfully its now evening off. I am now at end of week 2 and feel much better. It takes around 2-4 weeks to be fully in your system so hopefully if continues to be good. Hope this helps. X
  • Posted

If it's just for sleep I would cut down to the lowest dose possible so you don't get yourself into a long taper schedule later when you decide to stop. 3.75mg is still very sedative. As for lightheadedmess, you just need to adapt for awhile. It'll get better.

• Posted

I have to say I agree Cheryl, for anyone who has insomnia 3.75 is enough and saves the need of a long taper later.  Although sometimes depression can be because of insomnia, and sometimes insomnia can be because of depression - its not knowing which came first sometimes isn't it.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for this so is most people taking this for sleeping better as I want it for my depression as I have it badly but didn't realise it's mainly for you sleep.

• Posted

You say the 15 mg is giving you anxiety?  That isn't good at all, watch that and if it continues get off Mirt as soon as you can.  (Bear in mind that Mirt should never be STOPPED suddenly, unless its in the first week - not trying to scare you, just wanting to avoid any ill effects).   I only say that because it SHOULD NOT cause anxiety at all, quite the opposite as it contains a sedative.  But on the instruction sheet it may well say it can cause anxiety, they have to cover every eventuality - and it doesn't suit everyone.

The higher doses 30/45 mg are usually precribed for depression; however it is wise to take 15mg to start with and work up the doses from the bottom.  Having said that, some folk on this forum, many in fact, have found that 30mg increases or causes anxiety - not me personally because I have only taken 15mg.  

Maybe if improved sleep helps your insomnia this is all you need, maybe at the same time as a CBT or Mindfulness course.  You could increase to 1 x 15 mg tablet + half a tablet making 22.5 if your doc' wants to increase.

Wishing yyou well Claire.

• Posted

Hi,

It's just strange as now I'm so sleepy and I haven't even taken any tablets till bed time and I don't like this lightheaded feeling you have.

I spoke to my GP as I was on steraline and I wanted to be on the highest dose as I was only on 40-50mgs I think but she asked if it was helping I said not sure as I'm crying a lot not sleeping and having a lot to deal with in my life. The doctor said that try this one as it will help but the major side effects will be weight gain I thought great another worry to my list.

I thought these prescriptions the doctor gives us are meant to help not make it worse 😢

• Posted

I see, you were on Sert before - did you taper slowly off that?  Just wondering as if not, that could be the cause of the anxiety ??

Its a funny thing, Mirt's sedative effect can last 24/7 for some, all day (me too) but for others the sedative effect wears off in the morning - there doesn't seem to be a reason for this !!  Anyone else know??  It's just that we are all different.

Make no mistake, this Mirt' is a very strong med' with a strong tranquilising effect for many, some none - weird !  

• Posted

Thank you for taking your time in getting back to me on questions I have asked specially at this time of year so thanks it's very kind.

I have been on a few of the antidepressant and I still feel the same never found one that has really helped but I have started to go counselling and maybe go back on the first one I was on but the maximum it goes /citalopram

I just want some help in me and making me a more confident person and not feeling anxious all the time and sometimes angry well a lot of the time so much in my head.

I wish I could feel free 😢

• Posted

There are better ADs out there for just depression. I would look into it. Many people take mirtazapine due to insomnia, wanting to gain weight, or combining with your current AD.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your struggles; yes this time of year always makes us feel worse, maybe the cold & dark, and Christmas when there is "supposedly" so much 'JOY' around.

Well thats good that you have started some counselling, what a treat, I hope you get on well with it ~ all the best people go through hard times, it makes us humble, compassionate and kind smile  smile  

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you I started a new job today so it was a big thing for me today but it went well I just wish that I was a normal person and be confident in myself instead of being so scared inside. Silly I know I'm hoping counselling will help and also with the tablets I have now I don't think they are for me as I worry about everything and having the thought that they are a big side effect with weight I don't want that worry as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.