mirtazapine for anxiety

Posted , 1 user is following.

Has anyone tried this med just for anxiety and panic attacks, and has it helped.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hello,

I have been on this med for about 8 months and i think it has helped. Wasnt sure about it at first and had many doubts and stopped taking it for a while but became very distressed so i thought that this med was my only hope. It took me ages to get the courage to go to the doctor about my illness and so i went for years being ill trying to deny it. However things got so bad that it was my only option. I used to get lots of panic attacks. I was knew i had an illness but wasnt sure what it was.

martin

• Posted

what dose are you on
  • Posted

ive been on 30mg for about 5 months
  • Posted

I have been lucky that Mirtazapine has helped my moods tremendously although the anxious feelings are the very same as before. I get butterflies walking out of the house and my breathing stutters and my heart pounds in busy places but the doctors don't acknowledge it as problematic enough to merit any sort of treatment. I'm tired of hearing, \"the mirtazapine should help anxiety,\" when ten months of taking the tablets hasn't done my nerves any favours.

If only I weren't so nervous around doctors that I could voice my problems more effectively then perhaps I'd recieve help.

• Posted

i have been on this medication for about 4 months just for anxiety and panic attacks i am not depressed at all but my gp gave me these they have not made me feel any better asda sill makes me get panicky before i get in the car and drive on my own not done it for years
  • Posted

well for me i have very extreme depression and also suffer from bad anxiety and panic attacks , and mirtazapine has just about cleared all my anxiety and panic attacks the odd time i do have to take some diazepam but now im not taking so much diazepam as before when i wasn't on mirtazapine , but the mirtazepine does absolutely nothing for my depression and im on the highest dose of 45mg , so im very shortly going on lithium as a last resort cuz ive tried almost every anti-depressent there is , and im just really so hoping the lithium works for me , even tho ive been told by my psychiatrist that i have to sacrifice my social life as in going out with friends and drinking alcohol , i can still go out of course but its to much of a danger to drink alcohol with lithium which im really pi##ed off about cuz when im out having a laugh and drinking with friends it brings back some normality back and i feel good even if its for only 3/4 hours its a break from this terrible disgusting illness we all have that visit this site , so what do other people think about the pro's and con's of going on lithium and the sacrifices you have to make cuz i really dont want to give up my social life cuz thats the only thing that makes me feel human again and i cant really see myself enjoying a night out drinking orange or lemonade all night i just dont think it would be the same , but im happy that we all can come on here and share experiences together and try and help each other it just goes to show theres good decent people in this world that care for others no matter what sex age or race .

thank you ,

carter.

• Posted

Hi there Carter. You do not say whether your psychiatrist is going to keep you on a lower dose of mirtazapine whilst you go onto lithium? You can still have a drink whilst taking lithium but you must be sure how alcohol affects you with the lithium. It does not mean that you can go out and get plastered! I think that you are aware of excess alcohol and lithium ie getting dehydrated and the increased effects of the lithium ie of the levels increasing and it becoming toxic. Some of the side effects of lithium therapy are irreversible such as thyroid problems and kidney and liver function. That is why it is important to have regular blood tests. I still enjoy a fairly big glass of wine with my meal but that is it unfortunately increased consumption just makes me sick. I guess having three meds in my system is too much. Previous to going on mirtazapine I could manage two large glasses with no ill effect. I hope all goes well for you and that you find the lithium therapy helpful. It might take a couple of months though. (disclaimer: These are my experiences I am not a doctor. Any queries about drug therapy should be taken up with your GP or psychiatrist)
  • Posted

hi pooh bear im on 45mg and when i start the lithium there keeping me on 45mg still a bit worried about alcohol and lithium my psychiatrist said i should be ok if i just have 1 pint then 1 shandy when i go out but not anymore sad so i suppose i got to listen to him and stick with what he says , so i guess i will have to change my whole social life style around and not drink to get merry wow that will be so different when im out cant see myself enjoying it but i suppose i got to lump it and get used to it .
  • Posted

Hi Carter

I'm receiving CBT at the moment and one of the things I am hoping to deal with is the need or rather the feeling I need to have a drink to enjoy myself.

Have you tried CBT?

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi Melbi,

Just woundering what you think of cbt as I am waiting for an appointment to start, my problem is social phobia

Thanks

Danielle

• Posted

Hi Danielle

I had my 1st session on Tuesday so can't really tell you much but it does seem good.

If you nip over to the citalopram threads I have posted there about it so far and will continue to do so each week.

I do think if you go with an open mind and really want to get the most out of any kind of therapy then you will. Same with counselling.

We have to be prepared to put as much as possible into it.

Good luck with your CBT and I hope it helps with your social phobia.

Melbi xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.