Mirtazapine for anxiety and lack of sleep

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking Mirtazapine for only seven days. I experienced a big problem with the halt of functioning bowel movements after taking just one. As if this wasn't bad enough, nightmares and bad dreams were to follow, including one, waking up crying hysterically.

?Apparently this is what antidepressants do so what does one do about anxiety and gross lack of sleep when life throws a bad dice your way

???

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy I've had problems with my bowels for years taking medication. I've been on 15 mg of mirtazapine for 4 months but noticed from day 1 they made my bowels lazy. So I've Been eating muesli every morning and it has improved. Also the nightmares a lot of people suffer with them. I wake up Most mornings wet from sweat as well. I'm starting my taper tonight as I think this drug is making me more anxious and I need to get off it.

• Posted

Hi there I’ve just been looking back over the posts on this site and wondered how you are getting on with stopping Mirt. I have been taking Mirt 15mg for 2 months, and I’ve having therapy as well, and considering coming off this drug.
  • Posted

Wendy, i had the nightmares after a few weeks of starting. I have heard of others with the constipation. You are not alone in this.
  • Posted

Hi Wendy. I have been on mirtazapine for 14days now for anxiety and Panick. Taking 15mg. I experienced a slow down in the bowels. So I ate oranges. They work for me. I also experienced bad dreams in the first week but that seems to have gone now. They have made me very tired and weary and I am sleeping much longer at night. But. I think I am feeling less panicky and my mind is not quite in overdrive. It's early days for both of us. But all drugs take time to work. No magic wand unfortunately. I had no trouble sleeping before I started on them. So can't comment on that.

• Posted

Hi Pat I have just been looking at past posts on this site and wondered how you are getting on. I have been on Mirt 15mg for 8 weeks. Generally less anxious but it comes in waves.
  • Posted

Hi. Been on mirt. For 5 weeks now. Still on 15mg. After 4 weeks felt calmer in the morning and was able to think more clearly. Then I got a virus. Had to take steroids and antibiotics for my chest infection. I think there must have been a clash with the medications

Because now after getting up I am shaking uncontrollably and breathless. Thought I would end up in a and e. So I am back to square 1. Will have to wait till the prednisone is out if my system and see if I improve. Slightly better this morning. So the steroid must be weari g off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.