Mirtazapine for Anxiety week 3

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi

After several visits to A&E and a collapse at work and the doctors surgery I was finally admitted to hospital 4 weeks ago as they thought there was something wrong with my heart as I had been having near constant palpitations for two weeks!!! anyhow turns out my heart is fine seems that I've got some king of panic disorder - my work are paying for a private councilor to help with that - I'm currently taking 7.5mg of Diazipam daily just to get me through the day - I'm fine if I don't have to go anywhere - also taking beta blockers to slow my heart rate down and I've been prescribed Mirtazapine for the anxiety - at 15mg per night - it does make me sleep but seems to really give me the shakes during the night (maybe thats just the anxiety I dont know) has anyone else experienced this?

I did forget to take a dose last week at the shakes still came on as soon as I started to doze so maybe not related to the mirtazapine - I was shaking alot before I started it to then it was a visible panic shake now its just an inward 'brain' shake' if that makes sense?

The doctors just agreed to up my dose to 30mg nighly at my request as I've started to get depressed sitting at home all day and having to deal with the constant restlessness. Probably just a cycle but I'm wondering if anyone else has felt more restless as their Mirtazapine treament has gone on , I'm tempted to keep taking the 15mg as my body seems to have stopped shaking in the day time and the panic is under control at least while I'm at home - the only real reason why I wanted to up it is to stave of the depression - what does everyone think is three weeks to early to make that decision I've got another weeks supply of the 15mgs left should I just stick it out untill then, touch wood I've not had a panic attack as such in nearly three weeks just feel really shaky and agitated most of the time I dont want to increase the dose and make myself worse especially over the weekend when my GP's is shut.

Is there anyone else out there with similar experiences, prior to this episode I've never been ill enough to visit the doctors in 28 years - no history of depression, even after the panic attacks first started I still wasn't depressed thats come more recently since starting the anti depressants - but guess that could be out of frustration at being so anxious and agitated all the time.

Sorry for the long post - has anyone experienced any negative side effects when increasing their dose of mirtazapine, aside from weight gain which to be honest I'd like I've lost two stone and after three weeks I\"m less hungry than ever.

Answers on a post card. BTW unlike allot of people on Mirtazapine it doesnt knock me out for the whole nite by any means I wake several times shaking. what to do what to..........

==

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello all, I have suffered from anxiety and depression for most of my adult life and have been on and off a variety of antidepressants over the years. I emigrated to the UK 7 months ago and the adjustment to a new country took its toll and I started having terrible panic attacks and became suicidal. The psychiatrist put me on 10mg Mirtazapine which seemed to work for a while but then had to increase the dosage to 20mg as I started getting depressed again. After a few months on this dosage, I visited my GP and told him that the medication is not working. I had just left my 4th job in 6 months as I could not cope with the stress of holding down a job. He then increased the dosage to 45mg. I don’t seem to be getting any better and have put on 15kg in the time I have been on the medication. In addition to this, I have been suffering from extremely bad restless leg syndrome. Not only are my legs restless but my arms too. Actually my whole body goes into these terrible, uncontrollable and involuntary spasms. I have to get out of bed and walk around to try and stop these and end up crying in frustration as I am so tired and desperately want to sleep but cannot. I usually only fall asleep about 3.00am or 4.00am in the morning and then sleep until midday. I want to stop taking the medication as it does not seem to be working but am scared that I will go back into the severe suicidal state which I was in. Does anyone know if it is the Mirtazapine which is causing the restless legs syndrome and is there anything I can do about it?
  • Posted

Hi wishiwascalm. You must speak to your GP if you are suffering side effects or if any new conditions have developed. Maybe you would benefit from taking a sleep aid such as zopiclone. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi - I have asked 2 separate doctors at the same clinic and both have refused to prescribe any sleeping tablets saying that I cannot take these with Mirtazapine. I have however been taking half of my husband's prescribed sleeping tablets in desperation, but half a tablet does not really help at all and I am already denying him his full dose. I think that I will have to go back to the GP and see if he can take me off the Mirtazapine and try something else or give me something for the restless legs syndrome as I cannot carry on like this. Much thanks for your feedback.
  • Posted

Can I ask have you tried a lot of different medications? I found SSRI's weren't the best for me but they may be better for you (Citalopram and Sertraline were the best) strangely my research has told me most people did better on a slightly lower dose of Mirtazapine and had bad reactions when their dose was increased. Have you asked your GP about the possibility of Diazepam (Valium) or Alprazolam (Xanax) to use as well as a regular anti anxiety/anti depressant? If you don't feel your GP is supporting you then please get a second opinion or even look to change doctors as some are better at supporting mental health than others. Let me know how you get on!
  • Posted

P'S a quick Google search has indicated there should be no interactions between Mirtazapine and Zopiclone so there is no reason why you could not be given a small repeat (say 10 Zopi's a month) and remain on the Mirtazapine. Hope that helps
  • Posted

Hi - I was prescribed Prozac, Zoloft and Cilift (Citalopram) over the years. These did help at the time, as I was suffering from anxiety and depression due to personal issues and also the suicide of my son, but now I am more than just depressed. I feel utterly hopeless and lonely and see no future at all and am consumed 24/7 with sad thoughts of the past. This is why I re-visited my GP to say that the medication is not working. By the way, I am now living in the UK having emigrated from South Africa, so everything is done through the NHS which is so slow and frustrating. If I was still in South Africa on private medical aid, I could see a psychiatrist tomorrow and get help quickly. tablets. I also used to be able to get sleeping tablets quite easily from my GP. My GP in the UK prescribed only 14 Ativan tablets for panic attacks but said that she could not give me any more. I have only used a few of these so far, saving them for when I am really in a bad way.
  • Posted

It sounds like you've tried most of the SSRI's and if you've been on the Mirtazapine (at it's current dose) for more than 4 weeks and you're still feeling like this then you need to see your GP urgently. Ask what help there is in your area for people with mental health problems (for example I have Birmingham Healthy Minds where I live) Possibly consider private treatment or even residential support to ensure you are as supported as possible. Good luck
  • Posted

About 5 months ago I did see a psychiatrist at the ASTI Mental Health Centre in my area. He actually put me onto Mirtazapine but after one visit, he handed my case back to my local GP. I applied to attend a Managing Mood course which they offered which includes cognitive behavioural therapy. I heard nothing and so I left a voicemail and have still not heard anything so I have just left the matter. I realise that if I want help, I need to go back to the GP and follow up on the course. Unfortunately I am quite a reserved person and really procrastinate a lot, so I find it difficult to be assertive. I really appreciate your advice and help with my problem.
    • Posted

I'm not in the UK but it appears help for anxiety is similar the world over.  First, I'm a reserved person too but anxiety is nothing to take lightly.  In my experience it doesn't get better without help so please for your sake go back to your GP and take some notes with you and articulate a very clear picture of what's happening.  Notes are a must because you'll be in front of your GP with nothing but superficial symptoms to discuss.  On your way home you'll remember everything you should of said because the GP wouldn't have understood how it affects your life.  For me, I was at my wits end before I actually called for an appointment (the reserved type person characteristic I share with you) and I was referred to a GP, who in just a couple visits realized he was out of his comfort zone and I was soon seeing a psych-doc 3-4 a week for months.  Meds were changed, mostly added and increased, over many months.  My care went south partially because my reserved self didn't speak up enough.  Truth be told I thought the issue was a chemical imbalance so there must be a drug out there to do the trick.  At it's worse I was willing to try almost anything to find the "right" med or treatment.  There wasn't and after 8 years there still isn't a true fix.  It was suggested I try shock treatment too.  I declined because I guess I remember the movie One Flew Over the Cucu's Nest, and granted the treatments aren't the same as in the movie because you're asleep for them now and basically wake up feeling tired similar to a gym workout.  I assume this is caused from the tensing of the muscles as the electricity is turned on.  I read everything possible and concluded that most people who had it felt it "helped" mildly and would probably not do it again considering the benefits gained.  The most compelling person I read was Olympic Dukakas (wife to the former US senator and presidental candidate).  She dealt with anxiety as well as other similar issues and did try it.  It helped her but her words didn't describe a overwhelming victory and that's what I'm looking for before subjecting myself to this type of treatment.  I may still change my mind.  Anywho, my point for this long post; please take charge of every aspect of this condition. 
  • Posted

OK well it sounds like Mirtazapine is not the drug for you. The irony being that all anti depressants will have depression and suicidal thoughts as possible side effects! I am sure your GP will find a medication and dose that is right for you! Just hang in there
  • Posted

Hi - well last night I decided not to take my Mirtazapine at all and although it took me a while to fall asleep, I had no restless legs, so it is the tablets causing this. I will go back to my GP as you suggested and ask him to let me try another antidepressant.
  • Posted

I now have a constant problem with RLS, but taking Mirtazapine, as I did a couple of years back, I can definitely confirm it brings on the condition like nothing else. I would take a Mirtazapine and about an hour after it started taking effect and I was beginning to feel nicely relaxed my RLS would start up. I used to eat up to three bowls of cereal to throw it off.

There is a theory that Mirtazapine causes cells to take up more sugar from the blood, thus the hunger cravings and, of course, low blood sugar tends to bring on RLS. To find out more look up Mirtazapine plus GLUT4 on the Internet.

Ultimately, the demand on insulin that's created could result in diabetes, so I would definitely think that anyone having excess appetite or RLS with this drug should report back to their doctor immediately.

I took Zopiclone with Mirtazapine, no problem there. Regards which you need, you need to sort whether insomnia, depression or anxiety is your main problem, I would think.

• Posted

I am so glad to have encountered these posts which mimic experiences I have had in the past. I was taking

many medecines but I generally deduced that some of my symptoms were due to mirtazapine. RLS and at

night I experienced tremors in the stomach and lower abdomen. These side effects eventually subsided after discontinuing the medication. It took considerable time. Regretablly I have just restarted the drug. I now

approach antidepressants with great care. I quarter most pills and introduce them more slowly. Also discontinue in like manner. If you feel you can stand the slower approach your body will probably inform you of its tolerances,

• Posted

Hello again. Well a lot has happened since my last posting. I went off the Mirtazapine myself and after 5 days my GP put me onto Sertraline. Immediately I had the most horrific and scary daily panic attacks which lasted hours and happened 4 to 5 times a day. I saw a psychiatrist who weaned me off these and put me onto Pregabalin which was originally prescribed for epilepsy but they are absolutely fantastic and may have saved my life as I was suicidal on the Sertraline. The panic attacks have now gone but I am still anxious and depressed - but that's just my nature. I have always had this problem. My next step is CBT and psychological intervention. I hope to get well enough to start working again.
  • Posted

Hi I’m new hear I was prescribed 30 mg of this I want to know if I can break in half then again to take just 7.5

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.