MIRTAZAPINE,GABAPENTIN BEGINNING QUESTIONS

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have IBS and aniexty,depression.I was taking Paxil twice a day for 20 years(20 mg),1 in morning,1 at night and Librax,Bentyl twice a day for IBS.5 weeks ago went to psyc for bad anixety,depression,IBS by MD.Was given 15mg Mirtazapine at night and 2 Gabapentin(100mg),1 in morning,1 at night and removed 1 Paxil.Last week went back to psyc.Removed Paxil completely,added 2 Gabapentin(100 mg) for a total of in morning and to at night and another 15mg Mirtazapine,which I take in the morning,although she said to take all 30mg at night.I split the dosage because she said it was replacing the Paxil which I took morning,night.For 5 weeks slept well.Since the addition of meds, the last three nights sleep well for 3 hours then I wake up every 10-15 minutes during a dream thinking i've slept 2-3 hours.When I go back to sleep the dream continues.This goes on until I get up.Is this because of the upping of all the meds?Will this subside?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

mirtazapine causes dreams should be ok 30mg  at night  may help longer sleep pattern and less dreams
    • Posted

thank you.I'm spliting it right now because I used to take Paxil in the morning and at night to relieve IBS and aniexty/depression.My psyc is using this to replace Paxil and for sleep.I see her in 3 weeks and we will go from there.What a process this is!

• Posted

Hi Robert

The reason most people take mirt at night is that it sedates.  Not something you want in the morning. (Paxil acts differently). 

You say you slept well on 15mg mirt, but not so well on 30mg.  That confirms what many think: more mirt is LESS sedating.  Perhaps you should return to 15mg (with medical agreement).  You do not say why you increased the dose, nor why you stopped Paxil (which is an SSRI).

I take mirt - and, like you, get vivid dreams (which were more vivid initially).  I wake up a few times in the night but not as often as you do.   

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi! Hope all is well.My psyc is using Mirt for sleep but also to replace the Paxil which I'd been taking 20 years for IBS and aniexty/depression thru my gastro guy.The Paxil had not been working the last 7-8 months so this what they're trying.I didn't try sleeping on 30mg and had been sleeping well for the 5 weeks I was on 15mg at night until about a hour before I got up.I'm still only on 15 mg at night but what has changed is my Gabapetin is now at 200mg at night and in the morning.Maybe that is contributing to it?I need to take the 15mg in the morning,even though I'm a little fuzzy because otherwise my IBS/aniexty bothers me at work alll day.I work in a warehouse,lifting and bending so my colon is aggrivated off and on.Been with this company for 28 years and just need 5+ years until retirement.Did sleep a liitle longer and better tonight! 

• Posted

Well, I didn't know that about dreaming so I've learnt something new.

My question to you, Robert68588, is why have you been prescribed Gabapentin - a nerve blocker ? Seems odd. It's certainly not used for depression and doesn't seem like something you'd take for IBS. It comes with its own raft of side affects so I'd ask my GP why I'd been prescribed them.

• Posted

Hi! The reason I take Gabapentin is my colon spasms and swells off and on at work(this has been happening for 20 years now) because of the IBS.I work in a warehouse and all the bending and lifting cause it to flare up and because it presses against my back muscles by the end of the day i"m in pretty good pain.I was taking the max dosage of Ibprofin and above but it now is causing errosion in my stomach,so I'm taking low dosage Tramadol to ease pain and Gabapetin to hopefully block nerve messages to brain.I have been with this company for 28 years and just need 5+ years to retire.For whatever reason all of the above were getting worse over 6,7 months,so they're trying something new to change it.Back pain has improved and IBS/aniexty,depression a work in progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.