Mirtazapine good or bad?

Posted , 10 users are following.

After reading so many different views on mirtazapine I'm looking at it as the what is this drug doing to us?I've read more negative things about it than possitve not a good thing in my opinion don't get me wrong I was on it and gained weight. Now I'm off it to see what it does.All I can recommend is do some research before starting this medication it may work well for you and then again it may not Good Luck to everyone ?? A concerned ex mirt user

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can only agree with you. Reading the posts in this forum for  3 months, Mirtazapine seems potentially dangerous. Mirt sounds to me as though it is in a different league to other anti depressants, and that league can  be scarey. It seem to have a magic wand aura about it and some people can achieve improvements in handling their current symptoms but I would advice great care.
    • Posted

Thanks Drew yeah I'm glad I stopped it won't go down that road again but you just don't know until you've been on the med for awhile and then you find out the hard way it's scary! I'm beginning to hate pills ?? period!!will keep in touch

• Posted

I have been on mirt for 6 years i can say at the begining we all needed it for sleep or depression and it worked for some of us but later you start having lots of side effects....;so there is a good side and the bad side of it when you take it for a long time i think
  • Posted

I started on mirtazapine about 2 weeks after being on citalopram for about a month the dr wanted to try me on something different as my anxiety wasn't getting much better. Had hardly any side effects on that other than the weird vivid dreams. Since I've been on this though I've noticed I can either sleep so heavy for like 14 hours or sleep for barely 4 hours. I feel so weird and edgy on this, I feel sometimes like I'm 'outside looking in' on myself which is not nice at all! I ache, bad back, constant thirst and dry mouth, I've decided to come off them because this is too much for me and I'm seeing the dr soon but I'm worried they might think I'm exaggerating or read symptoms and brought them on myself which I didn't read about until after but have a history of worrying about illness linked In to my anxiety. Can anyone advise if these are side effects from the med?

• Posted

Hi Ben

I've been oin Mirt for quite some time and have been tapering off slowly.

All of those symptoms you have listed are well known affects of Mirt'.  The depersonalisation (outside looking in on myself), back ache, thirsty, dry mouth, vivid weird & wonderful dreams etc.  Yes, worry not, they're all listed !!  You didn't mention fatigue; what dose are you taking?

Be sure to read up on how to taper, you can't "just stop" Mirt', it could be hazardous (!) and create more anxiety/insomnia.  Click on my name & follow the link.

Wishing you well Ben.

• Posted

Thanks for responding, I'm glad it's just the side effects and not just me as i honestly thought I was having a full breakdown on those. It's now day three without and I feel a lot better, the aches and pains have ceased even thought the back aches there. I feel much more myself.

Will check out the link.

• Posted

Yes Ben you're right mirt does make you very tired and body aches I've been off it for almost two weeks now and still feel like crude although mine could be from my gabapetin I take for anxiety but doesn't seem to help I'm trying to get off it as well I just want to sleep good luck to you ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.