Mirtazapine has wiped me out

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've been taking mirtazapibe for four days so far for anxiety. Although the anxiety has gone it has made me very drowsy during the day, feel like I'm falling asleep. How long does this feeling last or does it wear off as I have a two year old so can't really lie around all day and also back in work next Monday and don't want to be falling asleep. X

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have only been taking them myself for just under a week 4 days at 7.5mg and only one night at 15mg. I do feel a lot less sleepy today. I think they will take a couple of weeks for your body to get used to them. From what I have been lead to believe the higher the dose the less sedating they are.

My daughter who is a registered nurse says she has many patients who take them go through her ward and they are not sedated so the body must get used to them. My gp started me off at 30mg. I have not got to that dose yet. I am going to see how I go on 15mg for a few weeks. I am taking them for anxiety as well. I may not require 30mg.

Please do stick with them for at least two weeks and give them a good chance to get into your system.

As I said my daughter is nursing medically I'll patients with them and they aren't sedated by them. Take care x

• Posted

Hiya.... I've been on Mirtazapine for approx 3 months and am now weaning down... you will feel tired to start with until your body adjusts to the medication.

Consider taking the tablet a little earlier in the evening so it wears off earlier in the morning...

Stick with it, this tablet really does work when addressing anxiety...

Good luck x

• Posted

I have been on Mirt for 3 months now and still find it does not help with anxiety.  It helps me sleep.  I started at 15mg for 21 days still had anxiety helped with sleep.  Upped to 22.5mg for 27 days still had anxiety sleep not so good anymore with higher dose.  Then upped to 30mg for 16 days and still had anxiety and only 4 hours sleep.  I also need to take a benzo for the anxiety.  I hva weaned myself down  from 30mg to 22.5mg and held for 2 weeks and then down to 15mg which is where I am sitting right now and still have anxiety and require the benzo. 

Mulan why are you weaning yourself down if it helped your anxiety?  What dose did you start at and how have you been tapering down?  I want to do another taper but some say only go down 10% because of withdrawal.  I tapered by 7.5 each time and had some WD and when I tried the same with the 15mg to 15mg it was awful.  So curious.

• Posted

ops should read 15mg to 7,5mg was awful.
    • Posted

Hiya.....

If I'm honest, once on the 45mg I noticed a massive increase in joint pain, knees, ankles, feet, hips and back to the point I would be crying with the pain when I got up in the morning. Although this only generally lasted an hour, it was excruciating and distressing for my kids to watch.

I also found the weight increase whilst on the meds were way more then I could accept. 2 stone in 2 months.....

My decision to wean off was due to reasons above, no matter how much I explained my concerns about the side effects to my gp, her sole answer was, "stick with it, the meds are helping with your anxiety, the side effects are something you have to manage...."

I didn't agree and decided that I would wean myself off the meds and find an alternative....

The meds did help with the insomnia and anxiety and I'm hopeful that with my new mindset, this will remain under control..... it's not the right way to do things for everyone, but it's the right way for me.

I will need to remain aware of any changes or return of the anxiety but at the moment, things are going well.....

I hope this answers your question? Good luck, just remember to take things at your own pace x

• Posted

Hi Kathy, what brand/maufacturer of Mirt are you taking.  My second prescription has no sleep inducing properties and is hopeless.  I'd be interested to note which one you're taking.  My first prescription was brilliant and helped me sleep but stupidly I didin't keep the box. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your response as I was just curious as I have heard some people complain about the things you say you are having.  45mg is a high dose.  ARe things getting better with the weaning down?  I am not gaining any weight actually I have lost 48 pounds in 8 months since getting the anxiety.  How are you tapering down that is an answer I am looking for.
  • Posted

What brand are you taking of Mirtrazine?  I was issued with a prescription but regret I didn't note the manufacturer because the second script was useless, it didnt induce sleep at all.  I'm now taking a brand called Autobindo or similar.  I would be grateful if you could let me have the manufacturer so I can request one that makes me sleepy at night.  There are so many brands on the market.  Once you find one to suit you (speak to the pharmacy) do make a note of the manufacturer.  Good luck.  
  • Posted

I'm going to stay with it, in will see my doctor next Tuesday would in would have been on it 11 days by then. Just I go back to work on the 11th to and worried about driving. X
  • Posted

Sorry I am in Canada.  Its Brand Name: Mylan Mirtazapie thats all it says.
  • Posted

The make to mine are teva uk ltd
  • Posted

Hi Amanda

I've been on Mirt' for over a year now.  I just wanted to add that I still feel the sedation; Mirt' has a slow release sedative within it that can last for 24/7, some say (me included) that the sedation never leaves them.

However, the first week of onset is different as your body is getting used to the new med.  The lower does are more sedating, so 7.5, then 15, 30 mg & 45mg used more for depression and not so sedating.  I think by next Monday you will feel much more settled and confident.  

Wishing you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.