Mirtazapine Hell

Posted , 6 users are following.

I haven't been on mirtazapine for that long but already I hate it. All I want to do is eat. I'm always so tired and have no energy to do anything. I push myself too but the effort just to walk is madness. I keep having the worse nightmares. I'm so emotional, crying all the time. I'm meant to be starting a new job next week and I don't even know how I'm going to do it. I feel spaced out and dizzy all day. And I'm meant to go and do a job where I look after others. The thing is I want to work and will push myself to work and carry on doing the career I want. I just hope that these issues with mirtazapine isn't a long term thing

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Edna,

It sounds like you are having a difficult time

• Posted

I'm in a similar boat to you, Edna013, with wanting to eat a lot, being tired the next day and having no energy.

How long have you been on the Mirtazapine? I've been on it for 2 weeks. I was put on it because I wasn't really sleeping but if it doesn't help with motivation then I don't know if it's worth it. I'd rather have the motivation.

What do you think you'll do? I've tried Sertraline, which was great for a long time, then Fluoxetine, then Citalopram and now Mirtazapine.

• Posted

I was on citalopram but wasn't sleeping and wasn't getting anywhere with them. Honestly I would rather they upped my dose and gave me sleeping tabs.

• Posted

hi,i can sympathise with you totally.i am tired,so very tired all the time.it takes me to early afternoon to get going.i do not work as i closed my business a year ago ,had a nevous breakdown ,developed severe anx problem hence the mirt.I cld not hold down a job if i wanted to (i don't at the minute) so good luck.I am living off savings as i have been passed fit for work !! like you the meds make me spaced out + has affected my long vision.after 18 months i am coming off it-very slowly as i seem to be very affected by it.a friend changes meds like they were smarties lucky person.I must admit i have been so very up and so very down on this med.

• Posted

I'm usually okay after about a hour or 2 of being up. But like now I'm so tired and all I have done all day is sit in the kitchen. But I'm going to give it a couple of weeks as have docs then. See what they say. I've been told that the lower the dose the worse the side effects ...

I'm worried that they will say I'm unfit for work. Because I need something to do. A reason to get out of bed.

Being spaced out is the worst! I hate it. Back in the day I'd pay money for the feeling!

How have you coped with it long term?

• Posted

Well,I have a very supportive wife who has never doubted my recovery.I look back to my dark times

(Very dark) and see how far I have progressed from when I was REALLY sick.I also think of my illness

as a journey (very corny I know) but you have stay positive even when you

feel like death as things will get better.It will take a while.

• Posted

No I understand journey seems nice, then it feels like there is a ending.

You are very lucky my girlfriend is supportive. I just feel so Terrible on her.

I don't want her near me at the moment, can't have her kiss me. Every little thing agitates me.

• Posted

I can totally agree with your last words aswell about "agitation"

• Posted

Hi Edna

I was just wondering, what dose of Mirt' did the doctor start you on, and how long ago.  It's true that the start up dose, for some, is better to be 15mg, but even that dose is very sedating.  Mirt' contains a slow release sedative that lasts pretty much all day for some (me too) and for others not oddly.  The bizarre dreams are very common with start up of Mirt' but shouldn't really be nightmares.

Were you crying all the time before Mirt?  It is a strong anti psychotic usually prescribed for high anxiety with depression.  Think carefully if this drug is for you because if its having an adverse reaction its better to get off it quick, once Mirt' gets hold of you a slow taper is required to avoid any discontinuation symptoms.

The eating ugh ... I out on almost 2 stone and have always been careful and looked after myself so this came as a shock.  Miort' is sometimes prescribed for anorexia which speaks volumes.  Also prescribed off rule for insomnia.  

I hope you find the answer, and wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.