mirtazapine.... i drink a bottle of wine every night and gp has given me this??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.

I'm new here and could do with some advise.

to cut a long 44 yr story short, my live hasn't been that good.

I have always coped in my own way, mainly with wine.

But a few mths ago my daughter was very ill and in icu......she is only 7. After spending 4 wks in hospital with her we, are or should I say, she's is doing great!!

I'm not. I keep getting bad flashbacks of her being so poorly but also seeing things that 'could' happen ie on her bike or running near a rd.

I went to my Gp today as I really need help and he has given me mirtazapine, 15mg to take every night.

I drink wine. And told him this, a bottle a night, and I'm now worried about what will happen if I take these pills, I told him I drink but he didn't seem bothered.

Can anyone advise please. I haven't taken any yet x 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello there,

I presume he's given you the Mirt for your anxiety, but remember that so much alcohol is a depressant and in itself can cause anxiety...maybe try and cut down on the wine a little, just to give yourself the chance to repair ? I was on Mirt 15gms for 7 months and it got me through a particularly bad time..I;m off them now and I;m fine. Personally I think you should take them, it;s only a low dose and I;m sure it will help...but please try to address the wine thing too if you can. Good luck.

• Posted

First of all I'm so sorry about your child's illness and can understand your anxiety and worry.  I'm surprised that your doctor did not tell you that it is not safe to drink and take mirtazapine.  Mirtazapine makes many people sleepy and alcohol will only add to  that effect.  The most one can drink (according to the medical advice I've read) is  5 oz. of wine daily which I believe would be just under a glass.  It's better not to drink at all, if you posssibly can.  I can understand that  with all that is on your mind  it will not be easy to do.  Please discuss this with your doctor.  Alcohol in the amount you're taking can be dangerous with any antidepressants.   PLEASE be careful for your child's sake.
  • Posted

After being on mirt for 6 weeks and drinking on it (mainly wine) I ended up making an emergency doctors appointment desperate and suicidal and was told that alcohol blocks the neurotransmitters that mirt affects so drinking alcohol makes it not work!! I was NEVER told this when I was initially prescribed it or when my dose was increased after 4 weeks because it wasn't working. I stopped drinking for about a week and it really does make a difference, my mood was great. I drank on Saturday and have been in a terrible low mood ever since. You really have to abstain from alcohol if you are to reap the benefits of this drug. I'm not sure I'm able to do that so I'm going to ask about switching again. Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi sjam1 

Glad to hear your daughter is getting better but by your story you are suffering, 

Please don't think I'm lecturing you here but I am telling you first hand, do not drink alcohol on anti depressants, I am a recovering alcoholic dry now for 5 years, and I've been on Ad's for 11 years, all sorts of different ones which I will not go into.. None of them worked whatsoever whe I was drinking, and I thought what's the use in these pills?, well when I finally became tee total, the difference was amazing in every part of my life, I needed a proper phyciatrist to explain the importance of never drinking while on AD's, GP's know very little about this combination, btw mirtazipine saved my life, quit the drink and you'll see for yourself, otherwise it's pointless and will make you worse.

Cheers 

Kenny

• Posted

Good advice Kenny.  I fear for sjam if he continues to drink so much - even he's not on an antidepressant.  I think we all want  the best for him.  You're right many doctors don't know enough about some of the medicines they are prescribing.  I'm glad you are doing so well.  
    • Posted

Hi Kenny and THANKS for replying. I have always drank but didn't for 2 days so I could take the medication. I will not be taking it again.

(I put a post on my bit not realizing I could reply to people.)

I'm back to the quack on Tuesday so will see what he says. A friend has suggested streamline. Might see if I could try that. 

• Posted

Thanks for your replays. 

I stayed off the wine for 2 days and took one last night.

I have never felt so bad. I couldn't open my eyes, even though I heard everything going on also my joints hurt and my lips and mouth felt like  had just come from having an injection at the dentist.

I can't do effects like that. 

Is that normal?

kind regards x

• Posted

Waking up do you mean? I feel like that every morning and can't physically get up til 9/10am. I have a 4yo son who's up 6/7am so obviously not ideal sad x
    • Posted

Yes. My daughter came in and I couldn't even talk to her! I was off work today thank God but I am an early riser, normally up and about by 6am.

I can't take these drugs, my husband was off today too so he did the school run.

I have never felt like this. It is horrible. I won't take another one.

a friend has said to try sertraline so I will ask on Tuesday when I go back.

how long have you been on mirt?

hope your ok xxx

• Posted

It's horrible isn't it. I'm a zombie in the mornings. I've been on mirt 8 weeks. Not doing great today but hoping things improve! Xx
    • Posted

I couldn't cope with just one night/day on it but I do hope it works for you and life gets a little better.

hang in there

xxx

• Posted

I have been on 7.5 mg for over a year and it has made a world of a difference for my sleeping and anxiety. I tried to go up to 15 mg per the doctor, but I felt so dizzy that I couldn't stand without feeling like I was going to pass out. I am especially sensitive to medication, but at 7.5 mg it works great for me. I'm so sorry you had such a horrible reaction to this medication. It has been life changing for me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.