Mirtazapine increasing from 15 mg to 30 mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi to everyone!

I am new patient with anxiety + depression disorder. I started 7 weeks ago with mirtazapine 15 mg because of general anxiety disorder combined with depression (because of heavy disease of my father).

Initialy , in very first days I felt very sleepy and my apetite got a little bit better.

And, after 7 weeks of taking 15 mg of mirtazapine, I felt a little better, but it seemed to me that there was still room for improvement. The depressed mood has decreased a lot, but there is still a lot of anxiety.

So, in agreement with the family doctor, I increased the dose to 30 mg.

So far I have only taken 2 pills of 30 mg each evening (two evenings)

I can say that right now I feel little bit worse than two days ago (anxiety increased, lack of energy, will).

Should I give the increased dose another day to kick in or should I immediately go down to the initial dose?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm not very long on mirtazapine so not an expert but I felt similar. When 15mg didn't do the job with helping me to maintain the sleep i tried 30mg but felt really bad and went back to 15mg and stayed on this dose. I sleep well now but still a bit irritatated...

• Posted

well, I cold say that increased side effects after increasing of dosage are gone. i feel same as before dosage increase. maybe little better. I will give mirtazapine 30 mg another week or two...

• Posted

hey sasha

i was on 15mg mirtazapine after a heavy period of anxiety at the end of last year.

things got better but then started to trail off a little so i was told by my dr i could double to 30mg

i too was worried about side effects of this so after talking to my therapist i took my normal 15mg on a night but also broke another in half and took that too.

i did this for 2 weeks and then moved onto taking 30mg. ive done this for a couple of nights now and things seem to be ok so far.

• Posted

Well, few weeks later, I am on 30 mg of mirtazapine. (in total 2 months and one week).

And the reason I started with mirtazapine escalated (my father's illness, cancer).

I am having trouble with dealing with it, I feel pretty anxious, sad, without energy.

Maybe I expected too much from mirtazapine, i don't know. I have periodically good moments, with optimistic thoughts, and energy improvements, but that is to rare in my opinion.

I am afraid now to start switching to another AD, because of worsening my actual condition.

I am taking alprazolam 0.25mg once or twice per week (when my anxiety is the worse) but I don't want to use it more often because I don't want to get addicted to benzos.

I simply don't know what to do now. To continue with mirtazapine or switch to another AD? To start using alprazolam (bezno, xanax) more often or not?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.