Mirtazapine induced lucid nightmare

Posted , 3 users are following.

I dont want to write everything here so I'm just going to give a summary. I was recently bumped from 15mg to 30mg of mirtazapine, been taking for a month now for low mood, depression, poor apetite, and lack of proper sleep. Ive had vivid, bizarre dreams every single night since taking mirtazapine but they don't bother me much. I'd say around 10% of my dreams are in the nightmare category, but not overwhelming.

The first night of me taking 30mg, I felt several things that were wrong. While trying to fall asleep, the very first thing i noticed was that my right leg wouldnt stop having "compulsions" to move, also known as restless leg. I eventually get tired of fighting it and stay up a bit longer. The restless leg completely stopped after I told myself I was going to stay up and did stay up an extra 30-45 minutes. While trying to fall asleep the second time, i kept feeling these sharp pains in my right ear (which i cant hear out of currently since i made a mistake of using a Q-tip to clean out my ear and ended up pushing the earwax even farther in) that eventually stopped, but then whole parts of the right side of my body would start having these pains. I ended up being able to ignore these pains and fell asleep.

I had some pretty normal dreams at first (i think, don't remember), until i was randomly sort of "teleported" into an old middle school math classroom from my childhood. I knew instantly I was not in reality, that I was in a dream of some sort. I tried desperately to take myself out of the dream, which is an easy task to do normally, but every attempt failed at every point i tried it in until the end. During that lucid dream, I had no control over what was happening like i normally have when dreaming, I was not able to wake myself up and eventually I came to the conclusion that I was either dead or sent back in time. I woke up from what felt like being trapped in a lucid-nightmare-coma dream for hours.

I'm not going to go in-depth about what happened in the nightmare, all I want to know is if this has happened to anyone else? I normally have perfect control over my dreams and know how/when to wake up, but after being bumped up to 30mg for a SINGLE night, that control was taken away and experienced being stuck in a lucid nightmare.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I've been taking 15mg for around 8months an I also had very vivid dreams, but I've decided to cut down to 7.5mg as I was sleeping too much and I am eventually going to stop taking mirtazapine. Ive spoke to my GP and to ease my anxiety I take a beta blocker and otc Kalms.

I would go back to your GP and see if there was an alternative for you.

It's not a nice experience what you are going through. Good luck.

• Posted

Remember that with Mirtizipine, the lower the dose the more sedating. It is activating beyond 15mg when the histamine antagonists are superceded by the seretonin release.

• Posted

Hi, since taking 7.5mgs I haven't felt as lethargic as when I was on 15mgs. I find it suits me better, I actually get up feeling awake and more active, I've started swimming and decorating my new flat which was not going to happen if I hadn't reduced my mirtazapine. Im hoping this means I'm getting well and coping with things again. I am trying to stay positive.

• Posted

i tried desperately to take myself out of the dream, which is an easy task to do normally.....an easy task? that sounds like a super power to me 😉

• Posted

I've never had a problem waking myself out of a lucid dream/nightmare. While dreaming I just close my eyes, alert my brain that I'm done dreaming(I'm not sure how to describe me alerting myself to wake up, but it feels like im activating something in my head when I do, which didn't respond this time around) and then I wake up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.