Mirtazapine insomnia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi- 

I have tapered down very slowly on mirtazapine and am now on 5.5mg. I have had on/ off insomnia throughout being in this med ( one of reasons I was put on it too).

The best dose for me was 7.5mg and I usually slept ok. If I didn't, my sleep had always settled down after a few nights. I've tapered from 7.5-6 and now on 5.5mg (I've tapered over 3 months) and after 3 weeks of feeling groggy ad putting this down to withdrawal symptoms, my insomnia is back, but really awful! I thought my brain was settling and adjusting to the new dose, but I literally have not slept properly for about a week now! Can anyone relate?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi like you I am tapering and on about 4.8mg.I cut 16 us ago and have felt crap for 14 days.I hav been cutting every 14 days but have decided to stay at same dose for longer in hope of feeling better soon.I have been tempted to go back to last dose but will hang on longer.How long?I am unsure but last dose I only had 3 days of unwell so you see my predicament. As regards you,a wk is not long,but seems ages.Stick in there for longer.
    • Posted

I am titrating down, on 3.75 and insomnia is there but intake diaz to help anxiety.  Since dropping down anxiety and dpression which never went away seem worse. Is this a stage to go through with all the crap r is it original illness returning?
    • Posted

Hi like you my anx has returned the last 2 wks.It is the meds.Any unwellness is down to the meds - bad back,flu like aches,migraine, nausea,lethargy,insomnia, dizziness, anxiety etc.
  • Posted

Hi Dee et al

I think your taper could be too fast for you, I think you might get less insomnia/more sleep if you stick to dropping 10% every 3-4 weeks - are you taking tablets?  You can crush these and use something like Ora Plus (50/50) or even Maple syrup to help stabilise the tablet/water.  Keep in the fridge - it will last 4 days and after that will start to lose its potency.  Use a 1 ml syringe - i'll put up some full instructions if anyone wants them.

Wishing you well...

• Posted

Hi calmer, I have been tapering that way. This current dose of 5.25mg I have been on for 4 weeks now. Was on last dowse for 3 weeks.

In week 1 &2 of this dose I was fine.

Week 3- had loads of symptoms- generally felt unwell, tired, headache coukdnt shift. A few odd nights.

Week 4- insomnia that is hell! My other odd symptoms have gone, I'm just so fatigued but can't sleep. 

I was hoping to drop dose this week. Not sure whether to do is slightly differently then the current method of tapering and miss days instead as advised on other method on cita. Miss one dose week 1, miss 2 week 2 etc

• Posted

I am having difficulty just down to 3.5 and feeling depression in the offing alongside anxiety. I am also wondering if the one day off a week, then two would be better when getting to this stage and am looking for any advice on this.

Calmer has been great help to me but my titration is proving difficult.  I was never well on this med even at a higher dose- were you?

• Posted

I was more lethargic on 30mg, and as I came down to 7.5mg there was such a difference in the energy I had. Also at this dose I have slept, on the whole, very well although I have random nights of insomnia. I have felt generally well at this dose however some days I've had weird symptoms and it looks like it could be he drug, yet other days I'm fine. My reasons for coming off are because the days with symptoms and feeling groggy are all too frequent and I just want to feel healthy and well for more than a week at a time! I don't have depression, although the insomnia can make me really frustrated. I'm trying to keep a good frame of mind knowing that once I'm clear of these drugs once and for all I will be well. 

X

• Posted

At 15mg I was much better then than I am now at 4.2mg ,but the extreme tiredness and weight gain were reasons for wanting to come off.it is 2.5 weeks since last cut and am questioning why i ever started the taper at all.I know what my end goal is but have been awful for 2.5 wks and am so tempted to go back to last dose I was on as i was quite well ,even though I know it's prob too soon to do so.

• Posted

Maybe wait for system to settle & sleep to return before another drop?  

I think CITA folded several years ago.  That method can wreak havoc too on CNS especially at the lower doses I fear, I used to speak on here to folk who tried it, I think the 5% every 2 weeks is best for the sensitives amongst us (me too) 😉💕

• Posted

Off and on.When I do sleep I get about 6 hours but always wake feeling exhausted and not refreshed .

• Posted

How are u doing now? I'm still feeling pretty crap! 

• Posted

I'm wondering how long you took mirtzapine for, I've only been on it two weeks and at 7.5 it helps a lot with sleep but I'm not convinced it's for me. I've had bad insomnia for 6 weeks but I'm starting a CBT program for sleeping and may quit mirt I want to be able to stop when it's easier.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.