Mirtazapine instead of ssris

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have tried 3 different ssris for anxiety and depression including sertraline citalopram and fluxotine. They all have me horrendous side effecrs and crazy thoughts jitters and the doctor thinks I'm not suitable for ssris . I've been prescribed mertazapine 15mg had anyone found these helpful that could tolerate ssris ? I'm at my wits end here just want to feel normal again . Please please scary story's as I don't want to be frightened out of taking these as I really do need them

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! I also can't take ssri's (had awful side effects) I'm on 15mg Mirt now. I was terrified of taking it at first due to all the problems I had with the others, they made me so ill. Thankfully I was fine, dry mouth and a bit woozy at first but nothing extreme! Only thing I've noticed is that my anxiety is less, but I can be a littl less patient with things than I I used to be...

Hope this is helpful

Kirsty x

• Posted

Yes thank you this is helpfull. How long have you been taking them ? How long did it take for your anxiety to lesson x
    • Posted

I've been on them three months, went up to 30mg for a month but that really didn't suit me so back on 15mg now. The anxiety took about 3 weeks to see an improvement, I can't say it's gone because it hasn't, this has helped me though. At one point I couldn't even leave the house!

Only downside for me is you can't drink on them, and I really miss having a few glasses of wine on a special occasion! X

• Posted

So did your anxiety get worse before it got better , that's the problem I'm having in scared of it becoming worse before it gets better

Thanks again

X

• Posted

For me it didn't. But it has made me a bit snappier about things I think, although that's not all the time. The anxiety didn't get any worse, not like when I was trying ssri's with those I felt paranoid and sick the whole time! There's none of that. Can make you a bit drowsy, but not on a level that you can't get on

Believe me I was worried sick about trying them, but I was okay. Like I said before 30mg didn't suit me, but on 15mg I'm much more level. It will make you very sleepy too as they're given for insomnia, it's not a knocked out feeling though, just a deep sleep. They can increase your appetite, I have to keep an eye on that as like to be In control of my weight - just a control freak in general haha!

Happy to answer any questions for you x

• Posted

Hi Kirsty I have been on Mirt now for 2 weeks, changed from citralopram, I was suited on this so i was reluctant to change.

?I too have been quite snappy, I'm not a big drinker but did have 3 beers at the weekend with no problems.

• Posted

That's encouraging to hear, thank you! I'm not a big drinker either but when my boyfriend comes to visit (he's in Scotland I'm in Oxford) I've really missed being able to share a bottle of wine with him! I've been to scared to try it! Thank you for telling me you've been fine with it 😊

I'm not sure if the snappiness gets better, I'm hoping so! X

• Posted

Been on mirtaz a couple of years. Couldnt take ssris side effects. Still not better, having to treat anxiety/agitation with small diaz dose.  Like you i tried 30mg but felt much more anxious so dropped down.  Psych trying to augment with atypical antipsychotic but im too scared to take stronger med
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca.I started on Mirt 13 weeks ago at 15mg upping to 30mg(15 in morning,15 at night) about 7-8 weeks ago.I was started on them along with Gabapetin for IBS pain and anxiety/depression.I was a little foggy at first but overall it has helped with my anxiety /depression.I still have ups and downs but that has a lot to do with I was being weaned off of Paxil (20mg twice a day for 20 years) and Gabapetin from 200mg to 600mg in 200mg intervals.I think you should do well on them.Have faith and trust in God.God Bless You,Bob
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca I also could not tolerate the sSiri so understand how scary you feel I have since been put on mirtazapine which worked a treat I started off on 15 mg then 30 now on 45 mg with positive reactions although slow and baby steps I can see a difference every week i know how scary it is patience is definitely needed here take care xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca, my Dr took me off Citalopram as it wasn't effective and started me on Mitrazapine, I started on 15mg about a year ago, I tapered down to half a tablet (7.5) at the beginning of this year and am doing ok on this, however, it's not a miracle cure and I do have the odd wobble, but I just know that it's temporary and will pass. I am sleeping well which I find is great, because if I can't sleep that's when my mind starts working overtime and I get really stressed out. I would say mirt was a good choice for me and have not suffered any lingering effects. I'm sure you will do well on them. Good Luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

i did have to drop down from 30 due to anxiety worsening, but then my dr says its not high enough.  Cant seem to win.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for all your comments I've been taking them for 4 days now feeling very sleepy in the morning but I must say it's a positive change from being up at 4 am anxious! Just wondering if yous found these to help low Mood? I know it's early days for me and I'm definatly feeling alot more positve about this medication. Just wondering how long they took to help low Mood. My anxiety has seemed to have reduced already (think being able to have a good night sleep has helped!)

X

• Posted

Sounds like youre going in right direction and yes, you will het a good sleep on them which is bettee than being awake all night.  Low mood can take a bit longer to get better, just keep on at a steady pace and you will find it gets better.  Some of us are just. Ot good on ssris.
    • Posted

Thank you hopefully should start feeling better soon then ! These tablets are like a breath of fresh air for me. None of the horrible side effects like the ssris just wish I had took these sooner !

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.