Mirtazapine is it more sedative at lower dosages?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys my doctor has given me a prescription for Mirtazapine 15mg at night for my chronic insomnia. I usually have more trouble staying asleep than getting asleep. Lately I wake up about 3x a night, so roughly every couple of hours. Will this drug stop this happening? And is it true that it's more sedative at lowered dose in that if I had just a crumb of it I would be very sleepy? Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Liam, I take 30mg at bedtime and sleep 7-8 hours getting up occasionally to pee and go right back to sleep. I started at 15mg and it worked well enough at that strength for sleep but did not provide any relief for the anxiety disorder I have been  dealing with for most of my life. Even at 30mg it does not afford much help with that, but sleep you will, it has been very effective for that purpose.
    • Posted

I have been taking 10mg/day escitalopram (Lexapro) since October of last year. Seems to be somewhat effective but I still have my moments. 

Prior to this combination I was able to get lorazepam 0.5mg on a regular basis from my GP and that was the best med for anxiety.  My psychiatrist will not prescribe any benzodiazepines even though they are the most effective med for anxiety. So I am taking two meds that are only marginally effective instead of one that works well. 

• Posted

I started on 30mgs but didn't like the way I was feeling, cut down to 15mg and sleep is so much better, only trouble is getting up for work, so they work great for insomnia, but I still suffer with anxiety??

• Posted

Jules, as you can see from my reply to Anna, mirtazapine is not very effective for anxiety. I went form 15mg to 30mg at the suggestion of my Dr. because the lower dose was not doing anything for the GAD I have been dealing with since early childhood (I am now just shy of 74). The escitalopram (Lexapro) was added to help with that and has to some degree. 

Hopefully science will come up with a better solution that will be as effective as the benzodiazepines, and at an affordable price.

• Posted

Yes, the lower the dose, the higher the sedative affect. It’s all to do with how your body metabolises the chemicals. I used to be on 45mg and had little sedation, now that I’m on 15mg every second night and nothing the other night, I’m tired all the time! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.