Mirtazapine Kicking in ??

Posted , 4 users are following.

The last anti depressant that worked for me was paroxetine, after feeling like death for 2 weeks I remember one day all of sudden it was like I was reborn, like a light switch and it felt amazing!

I'm wondering what does the mirtazapine kick in feel like? was it sudden or gradual for you? Immediately it has helped my sleep and appetite a little but made my depression worse.

Thanks

Chris

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris

My improvement was gradual, I went from having every day be a bad day, to having the occasional good day in a bunch of bad days, then the occasional bad day in a bunch of good days, to now when I never really have bad days depression wise, although I still get anxiety. I have been taking mirtazapine for 3 months now, and I am feeling much better. But yes for the first few weeks I felt awful, and because you're just waiting to start feeling better it makes you feel worse than ever, and it can be frustrating when you think nothing is happening!

• Posted

Thanks sunset

How long was it before you started having good days ?

I've been on 15mg for just over a week and now taking 30mg as of last night

I tend to feel a bit more relaxed in the evening but in still don't seem to enjoy anything, constant negative thoughts : (

Chris

• Posted

I would say after about five weeks to start having regular good days. I felt a little better initially, as I was finally getting some sleep.
  • Posted

That's a little worrying for me. As I have been off work for a month now.

I also go on holiday in 6 weeks

Last year I was so excited for it but now I am actually terrified

Chris

• Posted

Im 11weeks in and still not great. I was on 30mg for 10weeks and upped to 45mg over a week ago. I do have goodish days but I'm still yet to feel like me. I'm probably going to just plod on with it...I am better than I was for sure. I think once I get a job and start getting back out there after having my son...I will then begin to feel much happier. Part of my problem is my depression and anxiety is the only thing I think about because I have too much time on my hands!!
  • Posted

Thanks Rachael

10 weeks?? I think I'll have truly lost my marbles by then : (

Chris

• Posted

Hi Christ just reading posts on here as just started taking merts has it been any good yet ? 
  • Posted

Try to stick with it, i am feeling so much better now, it might come sooner for you too!
  • Posted

It has taken much longer than 10 weeks for me ...it is a very gradual improvement. I think it depends on why you were ill to begin with and whether the problem is still on going or whether it is resolved. My situation was being bullied at work by a 'friend' this wnt on for 18 months and I progressively got worse and the medication was increased to the max, I left 12 weeks ago and I am down to 15mg so it has helped even if it has been a very gradual thing .

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Sorry to hear that you have had a tough time

Why did you decide to come down if it has helped?

Are you gonna just try and tackle things alone?

Thanks

Chris

• Posted

Hi Chris

I started on the meds because my anxiety levels were so high ,but now my circumstances have altered things are settling down .I dont mind taking a low dose for a while but the main side effect for me has been weight gain and that now is getting me down and I'm pretty low on self esteem! bit of a vicious cycle...but fingers crossed. I previously practiced mindfullness and I found that to be quite beneficial so I am starting to get back in to that too

Thanks Debbie

• Posted

Good luck Debbie

I am also going to give mindfulness a try and also possibly hypnotherapy

Chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.