Mirtazapine kills sex drive

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2 years about 5 years ago, I went off them and my sexual appetite came back. This year was on 15 mg since November last year then went up to 45mg for around 3 months it slowly 100% killed my sexual appetite to the point were I don't even wake up with a boner. I weaned myself off them 2 months ago and feel Alive again and fantastic but my sexual appetite/Sex drive hasnt returned. I'm no longer allways hungry etc but I don't feel like a Zombie any more. Will my sex drive etc return to normal ?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes - the psychotropics are infamous for causing this.

Depression and psychological withdrawal can also destroy sex drive.

• Posted

Yep agreed but I've been off them atleast 2 months plus feeling great no stress anxiety been OK will my sex drive return ?

• Posted

Yes, I eat mostly very healthy, drink mostly water and herbal tea's. Umm only drink once every 2 weeks etc. Usually work out weights etc. Used to suffer bad social anxiety and would drink all social situations. But I'm feeling better good self confidence YES I still have some issues but feel amazing, will my sex drive return ?

• Posted

Yes, I eat mostly very healthy, drink mostly water and herbal tea's. Umm only drink once every 2 weeks etc. Usually work out weights etc. Used to suffer bad social anxiety and would drink all social situations. But I'm feeling better good self confidence YES I still have some issues but feel amazing, will my sex drive return ?

• Posted

Hi

I broke up with my long term girlfriend and life pretty much went into a downward spiral. Depression, couldn't sleep due to over thinking, anxiety due to overthinking and lack of sleep (and for fear of bumping into her in the street etc).

Tried all the herbal teas I could drink, read all the self help books.  Went to a shrink. Didn't help much, so after a few months I went to the doctors who perscribed me Escitalopramum 10mg and some sleeping tablets three weeks ago.

Ironically, I met a new girl two weeks after I'd been on the Escit...and despite being able to get an erection no problem, I couldn't orgasm. Of course, I haven't told her I'm on medication, so each time we get down to having sex, then I have increased anxiety because I am worried I can't orgasm!  This in turn is pretty depressing itself! Thinking back, the libido with Escit wasn't too bad, I still felt horny, but maybe not as much sex drive as I had before.

I went back to my doctor and explained the situation, and she suggested mirt. Said that it wouldn't affect my sex drive or ability to orgasm. She did tell me however that it will increase my appetite for food, so I could put on weight if I didn't control the hunger pangs.

When I researched mirt (google, Mirt libido), it led me to some conflicting views. Some people say it doesn't affect sex drive or orgasm, and some people (like you) say it does.

So now I am wondering what do do. I actually stopped taking the Escit for two weeks, because I wanted it to get out of my system, because I wanted to be able to orgasm. Finally I could cum, but at the back of my head is that the depression is still there (despite having a new girl, she's not THE one, and I'm still desperately sad about my previous break up), so I would like to take meds to prop me up.  But I certainly don't want to lose libido and I certainly want to be able to full satisfy whoever I'm sleeping with.

I'm in a dilemma smile  Also a bit worried about this gaining weight situation. How hungry does taking Mirt make you feel and how do you manage it?

• Posted

I thought to check if the issue resolved itself eventually?

• Posted

I started Remeron three weeks ago and my libido has plummeted. I also got super irritable, frustrated, and spontaneously angry, like a hyper-PMS, and my period came early. I'm in a really healthy, loving and supportive relationship with a partner that I find incredibly sexy, but I suddenly lost interest. Everything felt mechanical and kind of gross, honestly, which is really sad and hard on both of us. And it's not just with him--I generally don't feel horny or sexual at all anymore, even alone. I take 15mg of Remeron once a day, and 10mg of Busparine twice a day. My appetite has increased since starting the Remeron which was a welcome change for me, as depression and anxiety have made it difficult for me to eat for years. I put on 10 pounds in 3 weeks, which I'm stoked about. (It's not body image issues keeping me from feeling sexual.) I'm looking all over the internet and not seeing many people other than you saying that Remeron has had a negative effect on their libido (in other words, lowering it). Remeron also makes me groggy and sleep more than usual. I take it before bed but I wake up later than I'd like. I'd like to find either another anti-depressant, or an additional medication to help with the libido issue. 

A note: I was previously on Zoloft which upset my stomach horribly. So much so that it was affecting my social and work life because the gas was so horrible and the bloating and discomfort made me not want to go out because I couldn't focus on much else. 

• Posted

hello there iv been having the same issue and considering doing the same its good to know now i know whats been wrong with me latley

• Posted

I was on mirtazapine for about six years, initially at 7.5 mg. This caused about a 25% reduction in my sex drive, but made orgasms difficult. My sex drive had previously been very high so the reduction in that was not a problem, but the orgasm difficulties were a problem. I then increased to 15 mg for about 12 months and I realized my libido was almost nonexistent. I then weaned myself off in about four weeks. And about six weeks after being completely off my libido returned to its original very high level And orgasms were no longer difficult.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.