Mirtazapine/ losing weight

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor prescribed me on Mirtazapine, after trying out Trazodone. I started mirtazapine in November and noticed the weight started to slowly creep up. Everything felt tighter, and my face was puffy. I am on 15mg along with Lithium and Wellbutrin. I started eating better and watching what I was eating (previously a bodybuilder) and noticed the weight coming off in the first week. I only read people struggle with the weight-loss on this pill but i haven't had any difficulty thus far. Goodluck and i hope this post helps someone!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

great to hear some positive reviews as once people feel better they never come on and review anything. you sound like your doing well good luck

• Posted

Dear VANESSA, Excellent. I'm sure many people do well on this drug. I'm glad you have found something that works for you.

I never had any benefit from MIRTAZIPINE and coming off it has been a nightmare of insomnia and anxiety. Again many or maybe most people will not experience withdrawal symptoms.

I am interested in hearing from people who have suffered withdrawal symptoms and have sooner or later recovered because right now I'm very unwell and do not know if or when it will end

I am concerned that I was not warned about the possible problems I would have if I wanted to quit taking the drug

• Posted

you should definitely be keeping in contact with your doctor, that being said the medication isn't for everyone. I am Bipolar 1 & BPD, practicing mindfulness and being aware of what's going on will help you. I suffered and struggled for over 10 years and coming to terms with it helped me on my healing journey, i understand what you are feeling, as i almost took my own life multiple times. goodluck.

• Posted

last year was a tough year for me and I was on multiple medications/changes. It's your job to educate yourself on what will happen, blaming others won't help you.

• Posted

I ended up very I'll coming off mitrazapine I know what your going through. I never slept for 3 weeks n stopped eating was extremely nauseous. I ended up.under the mental health crisis team. my doctor told me I'd have no issues coming off. so when all this was happening I didnt know what was wrong with me because doctor was saying I would have no problems. I ended up.on diazepam then I had too be put bk on it. I'm now doing good I'm only on 15mg and it works for me. one day I would love too be pill free. How are you now x

• Posted

It is 9 weeks since I came mirt completely. I havnt slept naturally in that time. I have to take pills etc to get a couple of hours of sleep. Very anxious all day as well. Im in despair

• Posted

Karen, how long were you on Mirt. Do you plan to stay on 15 mg

I was only on it for 13 weeks. My insomnia started when I was 30 mgs ( so I dont think it would be good for me to go back. It didnt do anything for me at all. The insomnia continued .through a month of tapering and then 9 weeks since I have been off. So my sleep has been ruined for more than 3 months. Never had a sleep problem before Mirt which

I was put on for anxiety

• Posted

I was on it for a year then I had enough put on so much weight... went too doctors saying i wanted off they said no probs. they reduced me from 45mg to0 30mg for 6 weeks then too 15mg for 6 weeks at this point I started being unwell but didnt recognise it at the time. I was running around doing a million things as if time was running out making myself exhausted this is when I started too not sleep too good. never had a problem with sleep before then they left me with 0mg. This is when I basically had a break down but at this time I still didnt know what was wrong . I know stupid you think but because doctors said I would have no issues withdrawing I didnt even think it could be that... so at this point I was losing weight dramatically not eating nerves shattered worrying excessively not sleeping at all. they thought I had a severe urine infection... this went on over about 3 or 4 days with me in breaking point.. then my neighbour phoned my doctor n said basically this girl needs too be seen rite now n taking seriously this is not right. so they finally worked out it was coming off the meds far far too quick I ended up in the crisis team they had too give me diazepam n sleeping tablets... once I stabilised they introduced the 15mg of mirtrazapine and 225mg venlafaxine . I'm absolutely fine now fingers crossed back at work doing well... so it does work for me and now I'm just trying too sort out the weight gain.. xx

• Posted

Can I ask what you were eating for you too lose the weight. I have put on so much weight it's really upsetting me and I have the puffy face too 😥😥 It works wonders for my depression and anxiety I feel so.much better that way but it's the weight issue I have. I try not too eat carbs and I eat as healthy as I can. But I've noticed certain foods make my tummy swell up so.much x

• Posted

For the weight loss I started doing 30 mins of activity 5 days a week. I increased my healthy fats and started taking vitamins and supplements like; Glutamine, R+ALA, vitamin d, multivitamin. I also drink veggie greens with glutamine and apple cider vinegar with lemon on an empty stomach. I use glutamine because it also helps with my IBS and anxiety. The key is to eat more during the day, then i didn't crave sweets at night . I know it's tough but you can do it!!!

• Posted

I've worked out I cant eat carbs when I eat them my belly swells up that much I look at least 7 months pregnant.. I go too the gym 3 times a week for 45mins.. I eat fruit n loads of veg .. I take weetabix for breakfast and lunch too keep me full... but the minute I eat any kind of carbs it's like I just swell up.. it's weird... so I really dont eat bread pasta potatoes anymore. thank you for getting back to me xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.