Mirtazapine mood swings?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am taking Mirtazapine after I was prescribed Amitriptyline by my Rheumatologist for Fibromyalgia. My GP wouldn't let me take my citalopram and amitriptyline together so he prescribed me Mirtazapine but since I have been on it (2 weeks) I have felt really angry and irritated by everyone and everything. Has anyone else experienced this? Will it die down after a while?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes I Felt really angry and irritable too. I had to stop it after 7 weeks due to other side effects too. After being off it for 4 weeks im still feeling the anger and rage..... Im hoping it goes away
  • Posted

I take both and have done for a long time with no problems ..
  • Posted

I have been taking Mirtazapine 30mg for about 7 weeks now for anxiety and depression and feel incredibly anxious and irritable on waking for about two hours afterwards. Then it slowly goes off in the rest of the day. I tried reducing to 15mgs for 2 weeks and the anxiety reduced, but the depression crept back!

So I would say, hang in there, it will get better with time. I took Mirtazapine 2 years ago and it took about 3 months to feel better, and then a further 6 months after that before I could come off it (without any withdrawal symptoms whatever)

Its no miracle cure thats for sure, but it gets there in the end (I hope!)

• Posted

yes the drug made me very angry and bad tempered
  • Posted

Hi, I've been taking amitriptyline for ages, but its only my 6th night on Mirtazapine 30gm,

It does seem to be helping me, I'm not quite so weepy or low

• Posted

Hi yes, Ive been on Mirtazapine for anxiety/depression about eight weeks now, and its helped a lot. But I have to say that I got

worse in the early weeks and needed diazepam to help me cope with the anxiety. I nearly gave up but Im glad now that I hung on. I started on 15mgs and then increased to 30 mgs after one

week, I found 15mgs made me sleep well but wasnt enough to shift the depression. On 30 mgs I sleep lightly but I feel less anxious.

I took it two years ago as well and came off after eight months as I was better. I didnt taper off and it was fine

I would say to anyone, give it time to work - for me I needed about 7 weeks before it worked................

• Posted

Oh yes and very irritable and bad tempered especially in the mornings!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.