Mirtazapine - Need Help!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi - I'm new to the forum so bear with me.

I started on 15mg of Mirtazapine 3 weeks ago and I hate the stuff. I have recently been on sertraline citalopram and prozac. All 3 gave me horrible sides, ranging from balance issues and the shakes in my hands, so I stopped... but this medication is on another level.

I have recently split with my partner of 11 years and have lost everything. I still miss her and my pets, the house etc and have been finding things extremely difficult. I am back at my parents for the first time in 22 years and that is when my anxiety really kicked in and I developed the shakes in my hands whilst on prozac. I still get the shakes 3 months after the prozac and have seen the doc several times over this as I'm worried it is something more serious. My doc has told me i am suffering from extreme anxiety and have developed physical symptoms that I cant shift.

I have since developed a serious health anxiety, which has been increased tenfold by this horrible medication. My anxiety has been through the roof!!!

Since I have been on this medication my balance issues returned and I have felt unbelievably weak in my hands and my dexterity is poor. I am someone who goes the gym regularly (until recent lockdown) and I am fit and healthy. I also am getting the jitters and muscle twitches all-over. I cant believe someone with a health anxiety would be given something so strong.

I nearly went to the hospital today due to how weak my hands have become. My doctor deterred me and told me it is my health anxiety kicking in. I am struggling to type this message properly. I also had to contact 111 online last night as I was feeling as low about my physical symptoms than I have before.

I have been told to stop by my doc to stop this medication, which I reduced to 7.5mg last week, and he has prescribed me duloxetine. This will be my 5 try at an antidepressant.

Has anyone else had these issues, especially weakness in hands and general lethargy/Coordination problems????

I feel like I'm going mad and have gone back months since taking this stuff!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

How long were you on the other ADs? Is it possible you're suffering withdrawal from those rather that side effects from Mirt?

• Posted

I was on Sertraline for 6 weeks from last September, then put on Citalopram straight after, but only lasted 2 weeks coz of the sides ( looking back it may have been the sertraline though) and then from November I was on Fluoxetine for 6 weeks and ended in January this year.

My doc has said I must be sensitive to the meds. It doesnt help my health anxiety though. Part of me thinks my anxiety is the cause of the physical symptoms, but on Mirt its been really noticeable. I'm just so tired and my hands or body wont function properly.

• Edited

Tired - absolutely, Mirtazapine is a very strong histamine blocker hence why you usually take it later in the day, it knocked me out within 30 mins! The sedative effects last into the following day and whilst that does get less in time it never really went away for me which is one of the reasons I came off.

If you add up the sertraline, citalopram and prozac you were in SSRIs for a reasonable chunk of time so I reckon you have been (and still are?) suffering withdrawal from those on top of the start up effects of mirtazapine.

Increased anxiety can definitely be an effect of withdrawing from SSRIs particularly if you've come off them quickly.

On top of that you have a lot going on stress-wise so of course your anxiety is higher and it can manifest itself in some of the physical symptoms.

• Posted

i think youre blaming mirt for previous med withdrawals, ssris are much stronger!

• Edited

Michael one thing I would say is that in my experience it takes much longer than you'd think to settle down with a new AD - whichever it is. SSRIs (Sertraline and Escitalopram/Lexapro) took me about 6 weeks before the side effects wore off and Mirtazapine was much longer - I would say about 2 months, maybe more. During these times I really wasn't able to live much of a normal life - they are all really strong drugs and if you're sensitive to meds like I obviously am, it will be harder. The good news is that it will improve if you stick with it. After a certain point on every medication I've been on, my body has adapted and then I go to feeling like I normally would. Everyone is different of course, but what I'm trying to say is that it's extremely common to have really bad start up side effects and it's also extremely common that they will subside. As others have said, this could also be being made worse by withdrawal from other drugs going on in the background - you have a lot going on in your brain chemistry right now that you can't see, it's working hard to try and adjust to all the changes in meds, so be kind to yourself and patient xx

• Edited

Dear Michael it appears that none of the drugs you have tried have helped you. Many people find the side effects, start up and withdrawal effects of SSRIs and SNRIs worse than the condition they are supposed to treat. Mirtazipine caused me great problems especially anxiety. Maybe you should consider abandoning these meds. Can you get talking therapy to help with your problems.

• Posted

Dear Michael it appears that none of the drugs you have tried have helped you. Many people find the side effects, start up and withdrawal effects of SSRIs and SNRIs worse than the condition they are supposed to treat. Mirtazipine caused me great problems especially anxiety. Maybe you should consider abandoning these meds. Can you get talking therapy to help with your problems.

• Edited

I have been on mirt since october starting with 15mg the 30mg and now on 45mg (max dose allowed)

I found the side effects on 15mg the worst I hav ever experienced and it took me over 8 weeks for these to subside as my body adjusted -I never had weak hands/grip but had really strange dreams, very short tempered, anger , rage, felt hungover/ groggy in mornings and felt 1/2 cut during the day, fuzzy, poor balance /co ordination.

And while it did probably save my life at the time its effectiveness against my depression has waned with zero motivation /lethargy and now my GP it combining it with sertaline to help boost my mood /motivation.

On a side note my GP gave me propranolol for my anxiety which is a beta blocker and certainly does help - mirt was for sleep /depression

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.