Mirtazapine newbe. Tired and VERY grumpy and agitated,

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there.

I'm a new visitor to this thread. Having been on Citalopram a few years ago that had worked well for me. Citalopram no longer an option because of other meds & co interactions. Started Mirt 2 days ago, 15mg for anxiety. Work getting to me.

BOOM! Yea! SLEEP has improved immediately, but feeling sluggish and tired in the day. Also finding I'm having a few mood swings and feeling agitated at home. Anxiety getting worse, or a potential worsening of symptoms due to starting MIRT? Anyone else find this happening? I take the full dose, 15mg as I go to bed.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hello, what you are feeling is completely normal. not sure what you are expecting, so soon? you can expect to feel like you are for another 4 or 5 weeks, although gradually improving, ie by small amounts you will not necessarily notice. thought it best to be blunt, you need to concentrate just on getting through the day for now. mirt is one of the quicker acting anti deps.

• Posted

hello, what you are feeling is completely normal. not sure what you are expecting, so soon? you can expect to feel like you are for another 4 or 5 weeks, although gradually improving, ie by small amounts you will not necessarily notice. thought it best to be blunt, you need to concentrate just on getting through the day for now. mirt is one of the quicker acting anti deps.

• Posted

thanks NIGEL,

I guess my concern is I'm feeling worse! really agitated, and snapping at anything! I know it is early doors with the meds, but feeling worse in the 2 days since I started!

• Posted

hi there.

i have been on mirt 15mg for 3 weeks and feel like s***". extreme bone and muscle pain, sweats, irritable, fizzy brain, and feel like i have the flu.

i changed from lexapro which i had been on for 20 years as it had stopped working.

will this get better?

• Posted

yes, it will. youve gone through a really bad spell. lexapro stopped working, normally means your condition worsened, and lexapro is no longer sufficient. you have your worsened condition, lexapro withdrawal and mirt start up side effects to deal with. mirt works quite quickly. you ought to start feeling better in next 3 to 4 weeks. if you dont, your dr might increase your dose. ask your dr to consider adding lexapro to your 15mg of mirt. think it will likely be more succesfull, than just an increase in mirt. lexapro plus mirt, will be quite different than lexapro on its own.

• Posted

thanks nigel. i actually missed a dose last night and felt slightly better bone wise. shld have said im also on tamoxifen which has sweats and fatigue as a se!

my doc away for 2 weeks so will keep going. mood is ok. its the horrid physical ses that are getting me down.

of course, i could also have a virus! lol

• Posted

Stress, Stress and More STRESS!

Heck, This week has been horrid. And it is only Tuesday! Im on a weeks holiday now from this evening so im hoping that will help. Not sure if the Mirt is helping to take the edge off the anxiety, but I am sleeping a whole lot better. Not having too many other side effects 6 days in, other than exhausted and dry mouth.

Hope vacation helps the next 7 days. its impossible feeling so wound up that i feel like im ready to explode! its like my heart is in my stomach the whole time!

Reading all your comments, - and sure things will improve with time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.