Mirtazapine or Clonazepam

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been trying to ween off of Mirtazapine and have gotten to 15 mg and I also take 1.0 mg of Clonazepam at bed but I feel more tired during the day than if I had insomnia without the meds.

I'm looking for opinions on what I should try going forward as being this tired is getting really old. Do people think keep trying to get off Mirtazapine or get off the Clonazepam which I've taken for about 2 1/2 months to help feel less tired during the day and help alleviate the dizziness also?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I started taking mirtz 3.5 months ago to help get me off clonazepam which I took for a short period for sleep. Clonazepam really disn't help consistently with sleep for me like the mirtz. Plus clonazepam is a benzo which is much more addictive and worse to be on of the two. The tired feeling you get is probably mirtz. You could try something else different. But also consider getting off clonazepam entirely if you can whire you have only been on it short term.

• Posted

I agree with what has been said, it would be the clonazepam I'd come off first as together they will cause you to feel over sedated. Clonazepam is a benzo and a strong one at that but I'd stay on the mirtazapine and slowly taper off clonazepam even 3/4 of one for 2 weeks then 1/2 etc. You need tablet splitter or sharp knife. With the mirtazapine it's a similar thing. I'm on them and no intention of coming off as I wouldn't sleep at all. I'm trying to taper off Pregabalin and someone mentioned being prescribed gabapentin which is a definite no. The last two mentioned have very sedating effects.

Look up the Ashton manual withdrawal for benzo's for clonazepam.

Then you can half the mirtazapine etc once your off this benzo. Best wishes with it.

• Posted

Thank you both for your reply and I tend to agree with both of you because I didn't have the dizziness with just the Mirtazapine, the issue was more the tiredness but it's worse now. My doctor wanted to use it as a stop gap to try something else as the Mirtazapine was only really helping my sleep and had side effects that I accepted because I just wanted to sleep so bad. Thanks again and I hope you all the best going forward also. Let's hope 2017 is a good one for us all!!

• Posted

If anyone out there is thinking of taking both of these medications together please don't as the combo will leave you tired and emotionless most of the day and the head pressure is not fun. I've started to ween off of the Clonazepam and wish I never started it as the Mirtazapine should be enough own it's own..

• Posted

Good idea Rob. Clonazepam is not fun and many people suffer bad effects either being on it or even when tapering if they have taken it long. You are considered a short term user so your cuts can be greater than the suggested 10% and the taper schedule much faster. Don't cold turkey but definitively dont drag out your taper either.

Good luck!

• Posted

Cheryl,

I'm definitely not going to taper too long and have been on .75 mg for a couple of days and plan on going .5 mg on the weekend if all goes well. I see my doctor next week and will figure out the rest from there, hopefully it won't take too long. Just mad at myself for not looking into the effects it has on your mind over time. Thanks again for your support and advice!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.