Mirtazapine or not

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I have been on 30mg of Mirtazapine for 7 months, it was prescribed to me for anxiety related to abdominal/digestive issues. I still have the abdominal symptoms and health anxiety. I believe there's something seriously wrong with me, that has been missed on the numerous tests that I have had.

I'm at a point now where I am questioning whether I still need to be on the Mirtazapine and if it is doing anything to help me.

One thing I know it is doing, is helping me sleep, but on the other hand I am constantly tired. I don't know to what extent it is helping my anxiety, as I still have anxiety but I don't know if it would be much worse without the Mirtazapine. I also get spells of dizziness, I had previously thought that this symptom was related to my abdominal/digestive issues, but I am now considering that it may be a side effect of the Mirtazapine. I am also wondering if any of my other symptoms, such as burning lips are related to the Mirtazapine or my abdominal/digestive issues.

My doctors have written my off as psychosomatic/all in the head with regard to my abdominal issues and are pretty useless when it comes to the Mirtazapine as well, they were quick to put me on it, but now I have questions about it, they can't seem to help, there answer is to just stop taking it, but I am very reluctant to do that from what I have read about withdrawal.

I'm wondering whether to I should think about coming off Mirtazapine and/or considering an alternative medication for my anxiety.

Any thoughts?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi jamie if you look at the leaflet digestive problems are a side effect x

• Posted

30mg seems quite high. why didn't they start you at a lower dosage?

• Posted

Hi. 7 months on Mirt is definitely long enough to know if it's positively working for you, you've definitely given it enough time & it sounds like it isn't working as well as you hoped (apart from the positive sleep inducing effects). The problem is that you could have withdrawal symptoms if you abruptly stop taking the Mirt. So if you want to come off it then I'd suggest a tapering off program so bit by bit you lower the dose of Mirt until you're down to zero.

The process could take months. Although at first you could try to abruptly come off them - there are some people who have no withdrawal at all but this is rare. If you decide to abruptly quit but then have withdrawal symptoms then go back to your 30mg & then slowly taper off.

• Posted

I forgot to add that I've also been taking Mirt for a while & but in my case I've nothing hut good things to say about it. It's helped my insomnia, anxiety, depression & appetite. If I have to be on this drug long term then so be it. People are on long term meds for heart issues so I see no problem in being on Mirt for brain/mental health problems.

• Posted

liam- how long have you been taking mirt? did you have severe depression? i just have insomnia.

thanks

• Posted

well the insomnia is bringing on symptoms of depression because of my fatigue, but not clinical de pression. the insomnia is also bringing on slight anixeity.

• Posted

I've been on Mirt for about a year. I was prescribed it for a combination of reasons - depression, anxiety, insomnia & lack of appetite. It's worked for all of those.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.