Mirtazapine Or Paroxetine

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I have been on paroxetine 20mg for 6 years on and off. I am on it for anxiety/panic and depression. It works very well for me. It has one major side effect-it causes me sexual dysfunction. I have little/no libido and find it nearly impossible to orgasm during sex. I do get an erection, but can go at it for hours with nothing happening-VERY FRUSTRATING. I have been with girlfriend for 8 months and we are sick of this.

My doctor has prescribed mirtazapine and reccomends I switch to 15mg building up to 45mg after a week. Does anyone have any advice? Should I swap? Is it better/worse? Does it have sexual side effects? Will I put on weight? I do a lot of fitness work, wieght training, rowing, cycling etc. Im a fitness fanatic but am very worried that it will make me put on weight. I know the withdrawal off paroxetine is bad but it will be worth it if mirtazapine works, stops the sexual side effects and I don't gain weight.

Interested to hear what people say before I decide whether to swap.

Thanks

Matt smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Paroxetine was good for me. I took it for almost a year. Doc decided that I should come off. Unfortunately it was too early and my depression returned. Doc didn't prescribe me paroxetine again, because I had a severe withdrawal effects. He gave me mirtazapine and it didn't help much. Every time you change the med, you have to remember that the second one may not help. And depression and anxiety is much worse than sexual disfunction (which I also had on paroxetine). The choice is yours.
  • Posted

If I train a lot (weight train, 300 lengths swim per week, don't drive just cycle, etc) and eat a very high protein diet with very little fat. Will I still put on weight. Even if my appetite increases I will refuse to eat more or higher fat foods. So will I be safe from weight gain. I cannot put on any weight otherwise I will have to settle for paroxetine and a low sex drive/no orgasm sex. God, I so wish I was normal and not depressive/anxious, I can't believe any of this crap we put into our bodies is good for us long term-but I guess being anxious and depressed is potentially a lot more destructive.

Thank you for replying

Matt

• Posted

I dont think anyone can give you the guarantees that you are asking for. With such a healthy lifestyle theoreticallly you should not put on weight. Your apppetite might increase or it might not. I'm female and I remember the frustrations of being on seroxat many years ago. I have not had any problems with sexual arousal and climax whilst taking mirtazapine. I am pleased to hear that you actually still feel like having sex. I hope it works out for you. I suggest you give mirtazapine a try.
  • Posted

Thanks for reply. I took mirtazapine in the morning like i took the paroxetine yesterday-I spent all day asleep or half asleep. These things are like sleeping pills. I find them stronger than Zopiclone in that respect. From now on I will take them before bed. I took half before bed last night and I slept like a log. The doctor wants me to take 3 per night instead of 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I will be smashed off this! Im going to stick with them for 3 weeks and evaluate if it is positive for me. Today I feel like a bit of a zombie. Im considering just stopping all medication if I dont get used to mirtazapine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.