Mirtazapine...please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello all,

just coming for advice. Have been on straight mirt for 2.5 weeks now after cross tapering with 50mg sertraline for a week. Had spent previous 3 weeks reducing sertraline from 200mg.

came off sert because of terrible anxiety and poor sleep.

still haven't had full nights sleep on mirt...waking up every 1.5 hours, but usually back to sleep within 15 mins. But very drowsy and woozy throughout the day. Exhausted and no energy. Feel drunk. Have put on about 5lbs but no change in appetite. Very weepy and having sobbing fits....haven't done that since put on sert.

have barely been out of house for 3 weeks. Have been off work 3 months now and desperate to get meds sorted and back on track.

i guess I am asking those with experience...is it worth persevering with this one? I am on 15mg. Tried 7.5 mg for a day as I know it is more sedating at lower doses, but didn't sleep at all that night. Should I try 30mg? Any advice would be most gratefully accepted.

thanks,

ang

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ang.

You should be getting some benefit from the mirt at 2 weeks. How long were you on sertraline?

• Posted

I was on sertraline before mirt. I lasted 6 days on it as it upset my stomach and it made me a worse wreck than I already was by some margin. I stopped the sertraline and straight onto mirt and I started to feel better within a few days and fine after a month. It sounds to me like you tappered off sert to quick and maybe having a bit of withdraw? Hang on in there and talk to your GP Monday.
    • Posted

I did wonder if that was the case...doc said to reduce by 50mg every week, but after coming on here I can see that is very quick. Actually feeling a bit better today and have changed out of my pyjamas for the first time in a while! Thank you very much for replying! Glad it is working so well for you, Staz
    • Posted

I got away with it as I was only on sert for 6 days Ang. 8 months is a different kettle of fish though as your body will be very used to the sert. I'm glad you are feeling brighter today and good luck.
  • Posted

Ok Im the oppisite of you its not yet started yet but Im weaning off mirtazapine 45mg and onto sertraline, its not started yet because I told the doc I would think about it.  My experience with Mirt is great apart from weight gain, once it kicked in it helped my mood and gave me a decent nights sleep Ive been on it 6 years, it took a long time to get my meds right after an overdoes 12 years ago.(first 4 years of depression I suffered in silence)

Just recently I have started with anxiety never had it throughout my 16 years of depression its bad, so hence the change from mirt to sert, I might be a case that I have a tolerance for Mirt and its actually tolarance withdrawal Im experiencing.

I am scared to switch meds, but anything is better than what Im going through at the momemt.  When I first started Mirt  it did make me drowsy, but I took it at night made sure I had 12 hours sleep and I was ok in the morning

Everyone is different meds dont alaway agree with everyone.

Anyway Ive probably not been much help but thats mt mirt storysmile

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Did mirt work for you straight away?  I had never had anxiety before sertraline...but like you say, we are all different. Hope it works out for you
  • Posted

My only advice would be to consult your doctor before altering the dose. Mirtazapine started to work for me within a week, but know it can take a few weeks for antidepressants to fully kick in.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying...yes I am waiting until I see doc on Monday 
  • Posted

I agree, it is likely sert WD, and mirt works on different receptors so can't stand up to the withdrawal.  I had that happen when I came off Effexor. I was in WD but didn't know it. Was put on mirt which helped a little initially, maybe because I finally could sleep, but as I raised the dose it kept failing.  I was at 37.5 mg and knew going higher wasn't going to help so went back to the doc and he reintated the Effexor since I had tolerated it in the past.  Within an hour I was fixed!  So, mirt could not stand up to the Effexor WD.

You may need to reinstate a very small amount of sert and hold there for a month to get stable, and then very slowly taper off.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply! I think the consensus is that I could deffo be having sert withdrawal. I feel so much better after receiving yous and others' advice.....at least I have a probable reason as to the. A use of me feeling like this. Will tell all to the doc on Monday. Thank you Betsy and thank you all so much!
  • Posted

Mirtazapine is good for deppression not anxiety as I'm. Finding I've got bad anxiety just out of the blue had a massive anxiety attack 8 weeks ago since then insomnia and anxiety and tryed everything seratline made it unbearable been on mirtz 15 mg first 2 weeks was ok sleep a little few hours vivid dreams upped to 30 been 3 weeks sleeping worse and anxiety worse gone from fit healthy lad to this literally can do my job can't think can't sleep tongue burning white I'm sure I've got gad just because I've ran 3 mile most nights eat healthy still can sleep I'm starting pregablin 75mg twice a day Tomoz pray it helps me sleep then a can try and beat this anxiety there both linked and less sleep more anxiety and sane other way before this happened a hadn't even to a pain killer but when this anxiety gets a grip I've realised we need medication I've learned when u tell doctors u can't sleep due to anxiety they shot antidepressants at you I'm not depressed well u must be u can't sleep all a can say is once the anxiety is under control sleep will come A pray this pregablin work heard such high reviews

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.