Mirtazapine 'poop out' - anyone used inositol?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently on mirtazapine which has been great for me, quickly clearing my depression and insomnia, as well as stopping my migraines, nausea and allergies. However, after four years, it has 'pooped out' and I am back to depression and insomnia so I am going to withdraw slowly from it. I started taking 12 grams of inositol yesterday in the hope that it will help me through the withdrawal.

Just wondering if anyone has tried inositol and if so, what were your experiences and how much do you take and when? Has it helped your depression? Has it helped with insomnia? Any problems?

For those of you who haven't heard of it, it is a naturally occuring substance which used to be called vitamin B8, but as the body can make it it is now not classed as a vitamin. There have been some studies which have shown it to be as effective as SSRIs for treating depression when taken at the rate of 12grams per day.

I am taking 6 grams with my breakfast in my mug of tea, and 6 grams after dinner in a soft drink. It is sweet so you need less sugar if you are mixing it into your tea or coffee.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Day six and am feeling amazing! I have reduced from 30mg to 22.5mg for the past three nights and 27mg the two nights before that. I don't know if it's the inositol, or what, but my mood has lifted dramatically since before my mirt reduction. I know it may well hit me hard and out of nowhere though so I'm not getting complacent. Last night there were no bangs! I slept reasonably well without taking a sleeping pill, but had a heart monitor on so it was a little awkward getting comfortable. Typically, no heart palpitations during the 24 hour monitoring period. I'll probably get them all once I have the monitor tallen off, lol. How's everyone else doing today?
    • Posted

Great news. I am good too and got on well with my CBT yesterday. Finally Looking ahead and rechurning past events. Still struggling to get up in morning and get motivated but once up fine.Have a happy day.
    • Posted

That sounds really promising. I have never had CBT but know it works really well for many people.
    • Posted

Pleased for you two, I'm ok although a rubbish nights sleep and now have the "Mirt eyes" - very heavy and burning.  Why do you have a heart monitor Evergreen?  I've heard that mirt poop out is like onset wd, so this may cause heart palps.  You're not alone with this if that is the case.

Praise be for CBT, as successful for treating depression as AD's now, not sure where the medics get their statistics from mind you - didn't ask me lol hahahaha.

• Posted

I needed a sleeping pill last night as just coulldn't sleep. I have stage 3 kidney disease and some (most) nights I get a very rapid vibration in my chest and frequent urination. I had to wear a 24 hour heart monitor so the doc could check out my heart wasn't doing anything it shouldn't be. I have had this for over a year now, so not to do with the mirt poop out I don't think.

Day 7 and still feeling fine (apart from the insomnia). I really think the inositol is to thank for my calm mood. I wish I had come across it before. Someone on here suggested it for me (sorry I can't remember who it was, but thank you so much).

I have a theory about me and mirtazapine. It worked REALLY quickly for me (within a couple of days) to lift me out of the depths of depression, and so I think the withdrawals will also happen very quickly. I felt really fatigued and nauseous the first three days after cutting down, and now - nothing. I feel ready to step it down further but will hold on this dose for a few more days yet in case I have yet to feel the withdrawals. The doctor has insisted on seeing me because I requested a cut down to the 15mg pills, and said I must not cut down until seeing him. But I don't have an appointment until next week, so I'm not waiting. From what I hear GPs don't seem to know anything about withdrawing from mirt in any case.

• Posted

Day eight and I'm still feeling good so far no witdrawal symptoms apart from the first 2 - 3 days. I am sure it is the inositol. My husband, who has never taken any meds but is under the most terrible stress at work which negatively impacts on the rest of his life, started on it two days after me and told me this morning he feels really perked up. I've been putting a heaped teaspoon of the inositol powder in his morning tea.

I think I will stay two more days on 22.5mg of mirt and if still no withdrawals, I will step it down again.

I hope everyone is doing okay. Has anyone else tried the inositol?

• Posted

Hi I was wondering did you ever get off mirt and how long did it take
    • Posted

Yes, I managed to get off it completely by mid February. It took around four and a half months of very gradual tapering, but it was pretty painless with very few withdrawal symptoms doing it so slowly. I still don't sleep well and have to take temazepam on a nightly basis, but I found out that was due to my thyroid being overactive. It is under control now and so I need to think about tapering off the sleeping pills!

• Posted

That's great you should be very proud is there any chance you could send me how you taperd as I'm lost and just want off these I take 30mg and they are evil my anxiety is through the roof thanks

• Posted

i know this post is 7 years old but I'm dying to know if the inositol helped ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.