Mirtazapine pooped out!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm on my 2nd day of going cold turkey on mirtazipine because my mirtazipine pooped out (was only on 7.5mg) I had been getting withdrawal symptoms for a weeks while on them. If I doubled the dose would they start working again? Also because I've been getting withdrawal symptoms for weeks hopefully the cold turkey won't be as bad? My anxiety is hell at the moment, I'm ringing my doctor this morning 😯😯😯😯

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had to go back to 15 mgs when I got down to 7.5.  Way to many side effects.  Course I have been taking the med for over 20 years.  Was hell getting down to 7.5 from 30 mgs -- took me a couple months.  I'm staying at 15 cause it does help me sleep.

• Posted

I've been taking them for 4 months or so but over the last few weeks i've been getting withdrawals &/or side effects - insomnia, panic attacks, extreme anxiety, nausea, diarrhoea e.t.c. So decided to taper down. Currently on 22.5mg for 2 weeks, then 15mg for 2 weeks, 7.5mg for 2 weeks & 3.75mg for 2 weeks before stopping altogether.

• Posted

can I ask by how much you tapered down each time?and what your original dose was?did you decide to come off this drug because of horrendous nightmares that I am experiencing,I am down to 18.75mg,by 25% reductions,and hope that when I get down to three quarters of tablet my GP will prescribe the liquid,as you can't really taper accurately at low doses easily,may even go slower at 10% or even 5% if necessary,my original dose was 45mg and had been on this nearly six years.

• Posted

I've always been on 7.5mg I think for the 1st week I was on 15mg but it made me feel angry. I've been having bad side effects of the mirtazapine for about 10 weeks now I finanely noticed the mirtazapine wasn't working when it didn't help me sleep anymore.

• Posted

That's the same as me been on Mirtazapine 15/30mg for 4 months. All of a sudden i started to suffer with insomnia, get to sleep ok but waking up in the middle of the night & unable to get back to sleep. Also suffered with increased anxiety, panic attacks e.t.c. while on the same dose, even before reducing the dosage.

• Posted

Sounds like yours too has pooped out too!!! I'm getting a headache now which I think is a good sign I hope!! I think my brain chemical are trying to get back to normal lol my anxiety seems to be settling down for now too...I hope all goes well for you tim x we should be mirtazapine hell buddies 😊

• Posted

The problem is if you tell the doctors of the withdrawals/side effects they just say it's not the Mirtazapine it's your anxiety. The doctor told me there shouldn't be any side effects from coming off. It's a shame they don't try the drugs for themselves & see what effects it as on them.

• Posted

Hi. would you say you are still angry with the 7.5m dosage as Im on the 30 m dose and I literally want to hit people I am so angry . Told my doctor this morning I needed to come off the meds as I am so aggressive on them but maybe a small dose would help as the meds help with my depression. Thanks. Keith
  • Posted

I wouldn't double the dose because you're only going to create more problems in the future. The withdrawals are truly horrible but they will fade as time goes on

• Posted

that's a very low dose! I think the dose for depression is 30 to 45mg. I was on 15mg for a few weeks ad it seemed to poop out. Now a few weeks on 30 and I am feeling better.I hope the 30mg doesn't poop out also!!

• Posted

Day 3 of cold turkey my anxiety has gone down to a 9 from a 10 but feel so sick today...sleeping is rubbish, I keep waking up, the doctor has prescribed me sleeping pills but had none in stock at the chemist yesterday. I'm going to get through this!!!!

• Posted

What dose were you taking before going cold turkey? How long have you been on Mirtazapine?
    • Posted

I was only on 7.5mg for a year...I feel like giving in and taking one even though they had stopped working for me 😢 don't know what to do...I feel like a heroin addict coming off smack today....how are you today tim?

• Posted

Hi, did they stop working for depression/anxiety or just sleep?
    • Posted

you could try upping to 15mg? it seems a lot of the other medications like benzos etc are really addictive and stop working aftr a few months. I as on doxepin for 5 months for sleep and depression. It worked well for sleep but not depression
    • Posted

Think I'm just gonna ride this one out Mike spoke to doctor today he gave me diazapam which has settled me abit. What if it keeps pooping out when I get all the way too 45mg? Then I'll be in trouble....feel so sick today and headachey 😬 just want all these nasty side effects to go away and feel a bit normal again...I've lost 4 pounds in 2 days (I put on 10 pounds while on mirtazipine only went from a size 8 to a 10 ) I will get there in the end gotta stay strong 💪

• Posted

if you are not suffering depression and ur insomnia it not chronic and severe then maybe you would be better off on the occasional use of a sleep aid? I use valium every now and then and its great at settling me down! I make a point of not using it more than a few times a week at most so I don't become addicted. I think you shouldn't have too much of a problem withdrawing from such a small dose of mirt.

I am also concerned I will have to keep upping the mirt dose to control my depression sad

• Posted

I do suffer from depression but not had it for a while (touch wood) I'm also on citalopram, the doctor has give me diazapam today and a sleeping aid but damn chemist don't have it in stock. Is mirtazapine helping your depression Mike?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.