Mirtazapine protracted withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have read several sources on protracted withdrawal symptoms. All that I have found in the extended symptoms were psychiatric in nature. As anyone who follows this subject knows, mirtazapine has more than it's share of physical pains as well. Anyone know anything about protracted withdrawals that are physical symptoms, such as headaches, back spasms, stomach cramps, etc,? God have mercy on anyone who's life has been negatively touched by this "medicine". Regards, David

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi David

I managed 30 days off mirt. I had dreadful headaches that wouldn't shift even with strong painkillers. I also had a rotten stomach along with chronic fatigue. I took sound advice and reinstated a very small dose of mirt. I am about to take my third dose, and already feel so much better. I am now going to follow evergreens example and taper painfully slowly. How long have you been off mirt for?

It's quite a tricky AD to get off but I'm hoping a slow and steady taper will make it easier next time around.

god bless xx

• Posted

Lorraine, I have been off 61 days.Sunday will be 9 weeksm and I feel awful. I went off at 3.75 mgs. I think that you are making a wise move, and I wish you luck. David
    • Posted

Aww David

61 days is a lot of days. I am so sorry David that you are going through this. I couldn't do more than 30 days as felt so unwell. You have done amazingly well. Are you getting any good days? I really hope so. Has you doctor got any ideas on anything that may help you? I took diazepam but towards the end even that didn't help me. I really hope things start looking up for you. 61 days must feel like an eternity when suffering.

God bless ♥♥

• Posted

Thank you Lorraine. This is my third attempt, and due to heart rhythm side effects, my cardiologist took me off them permanently. So, I don't have a choice. And to add to the problem, I have had bronchitis for 3 weeks, persistant cough with mucus. You put God bless as your closing, so I assume you are a believer. Please pray for me. David
    • Posted

Thank you young lady! I was off 8 months the last time, and it was pure hell. That is why I went back on them. I felt really good for about a week or so, then it quit working and the side effects started. You take as long as you need to, be kind to yourself, and I will pray for you as well.
    • Posted

Thank you David

I haven't been called young lady in a very long while! I don't know how you cope. The withdrawals are debilitating and relentless. I still find myself doubting i will fully recover. We will get there David. My prayers will certainly include you xxx

• Posted

Lorraine, your comments give me hope. The 8 months that I was in the valley of death was from doing a cold turkey from 7.5. The abdominal pain was so bad that I laid in bed for hours with a heating pad on my stomach. I even slept with it, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten any. I have been on the drug at full strength 45 mg for 8 years before starting to try to get of this stuff. It is a long story, and I will share it if I get to the point where I feel like it. Let's keep in touch. I feel that I have a new friend. Are you in the UK?
    • Posted

Well it is done! I am a retired fire chief and live in Virginia (USA). My son does a lot of traveling in Europe, and is frequently is doing lay overs at Heathrow. Thank you again for replying to my post. You must have a good heart. David
    • Posted

Hi David (my new friend ♥)

I really hope that health hurries up for you. I know only too well how horrendous withdrawal is! Our entire life is on hold until that 'switch' of health flicks back on!

Look forward to getting to know you David, and look forward to the day the switch turns back on for you.

god bless ♥♥

• Posted

Today hasn't been a good one. As a matter of fact, I haven't had a good one this go round. They have all been just different degrees of horrible. Not looking for sympathy, just stating the cold, hard facts. Well it is late where you are, and time for dinner here. Good Night! David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.