Mirtazapine Reduction From 30mg to 15mg

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello All

I have been on Mirtazapine for 10 weeks now for my Anxiety along with 10mg Escitalapram in the mornings.

The first 5 weeks on 15mg Mirtz I felt better, then on week 6 started to feel a bit rough, so the Doctor put me upto 30mg.

I have been on 30mg for 4 weeks now and can say it has made my anxiety worse, I want to work my way down to 22.5mg to see if that dosage is any better.

Doctor says on alternate nights 30mg then 15mg for 1 week, then stay on 15mg.

I am very worried about side effects and withdrawal symptoms. So have decided to cut down to 26.25mg for a few nights then down to 22.5mg.

Am I being too cautious with going to 26.25mg considering I was only on 30mg for 4 weeks? Should I just go down to 22.5mg, I do not want to drag out the taper longer the necessary.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Adam,

I went on 15mg Mirtazapine 9 months ago.

I had insomnia for a month and had tried some herbal things as well as one of the Z drugs for a couple of nights. Nothing worked.

Mirtazapine worked really well within a couple of days. I was able to sleep again. After 2 months I tried to come off.. Dropped to 7.5mg for two weeks and then two weeks of 7.5mg every other night. Within a couple of days of stopping the insomnia was back. On doctors advice, I went back on the 15mg and was good again straight away.

Last Monday I dropped to 7.5 again. out of the five nights so far, two resulted in no sleep at all and the others weren't great. Ill give it a couple more nights to see if things improve but its very tough going.

Suppose my advice is to try the drop to 22.5 and see how it going for a couple of weeks.

Let me know how you are. You're not alone in this, seems a very rough drug to get off for some people ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.