Mirtazapine Remeron Causing Knee Joint Problems?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi, does anybody out there get bad knee problems with Mirtz?

I have been on 30mg for around 11 weeks and since taking I have developed bad knees and a bad neck. Would very much appreciate any similar feed back.

Thanks and take care.

3 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would like to add to this discussion that I have been on Mirtazapine 15mg for two months and have developed terrible joint pain. It started just my knees, then hands now wrists and elbows. I've also gained 2 stone since starting. It's done wonders for my depression but the side effects are too great. I'm to take half a tablet for a week before stopping, and have started on Lithium (Priadel).

• Posted

My experience is the same as yours Natasha.  I have also put on weight and my knees and legs are very painful.  The Mirtazapine has helped my  anxiety but the side effects are just too much.  I gradually reduced the dose down to a quarter and stopped taking it two days ago.

Apparently this side effect is fairly rare.  I have found a paper published by the British Pharmalogical Society reporting a survey carried out in the Netherlands which has confirmed the connection.  Here is the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1884949

It makes interesting reading.

• Posted

Thanks for the link Margaret!

My psychiatrist said it wasn't particularly rare to have this side effect! I thought it was because I've been going to the gym but she was certain it was the Mirtazapine. I'm hoping for less side effects with the next one, and desperately need to lose weight!

• Posted

I have just started having knee pain in the last week after being on Mirtz for 2 months or so.  I was wondering if it could be due to the Mirtz.  Glad for this discussion..

• Posted

Hi

I'm having similar problems with joints, especially knees and also back and chest pain. I'm new to mirt and it's great for sleep and seems to be reducing anxiety so I'm very disappointed and not sure what to do. Those of you who posted a year ago or more - what did you do in the end? 

• Posted

I decided that it was not really helping with the anxiety so  I stopped taking it.  I can see that is a more difficult decision for you if you feel it is halping.
    • Posted

On mirtaz for a couple of years.  Recently got Ache in hips and thighs. Thought it was just ageing but now not so sure.  As i cant tolerate any more than 7.5 dr wants me to titrate down.   Its proving hard. Nausea, insomnia, depression all arrived.  Not sure if dr will,try another as i cannotbtake ssris.   

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Posted

I was prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg to make me drowsy in the evenings and to encourage me to sleep earlier. But after the first night and each subsequent night, I woke with a pain in my left thigh which made it troublesome to walk.   I had not seen this thread but linked the new pain to the new medication.  So I stopped taking it.   Pain gradually diminishing, aided by 100mg daily of ketoproferan which is an anti-inflammatory.   The incident was three weeks ago, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have not injured something permanent.

THINK TWICE before taking Mirtazapine

• Posted

I have also been on mirtazapine 30mg with an introduction of 15mg for a month since December. I sleep better but feel I have aged 10 yrs with aching joints, mainly in my knees, hips & shoulders. I cannot sit through a show or movie without feeling extreme restlessness. Will take myself off these very gradually & hope by increasing exercise, taking high strength fish oil, magnesium, chondroitin & Msm, Vit B's & zinc, these symptoms will disappear. Side effects outweigh benefits. I think S.A.D causes a lot of our low mood disorders in Winter. What do you think. Wish I could find a GP who is interested in healthy alternatives.

• Posted

I came off mirtazapine entirely and thanks to physiotherapy on my thigh (+ 100 mg ibuprofen for a few days), the pain went and I know no longer remember it.  My GP has now put me on 3.75 zopiclone. I take that at 20.30 and I sleep almost straightaway when I go to bed at 21.30.  Steer clear of Mirtazapine
  • Posted

I started taking mirt 2 years ago. As some of you have pointed out, i also started developing knee join pains. Im a postman so walking is my trade. The pains grew worse, so i contacted my gp and explained how since taking mirt my joint pain was worsening. He told me to stop taking them immediately. 2 years on the condition is crippling. I still work as a postman but i can only do my job with the daily aid of painkillers. I used to play football and golf but sadly i can no longer do those things. I wish i could afford to Sue, but id have no chance of beating pharmecutical companies. I was recommended mirt to help with my depression, all it did was diminish my quality of life by 50 percent. If they helped any of you, im pleased for you, but if i knew what they were going to do for me , i would never have touched them.
    • Posted

Hi mickfg

As not aware if your age - arthritis may be a problem?

I started on Venlafaxine last Oct then Dr switched me to Mirtazapine as I felt dizzy, without emotion - detached, unsafe driving etc,hungrier...

Like you I am angry wondering how many people out there no longer live normal lives!

Think we should report on Yellow Card as mentioned in small print on box insert. Now slowly reduced til off Mirtazapine.

My pain has diminished since slowly getting fit at gym 3x weekly about 45mins max 1 hr doing a circuit designed by Personal Trainer. Knee & back strength is improving, hip & shoulder pain gone. Just pain in my hand from arthritis. (Xrays were done on hand.) Constipation gone, appetite more controllable as more thirsty & less hungry.

Have to switch off mobile & TV off 1hr before bed & use Passionflower or Hops herbal tablets to help sleep. Voluntary work once a week is very rewarding & prevents me feeling low.

A big improvement!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.